Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What part of quilting do you... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-part-quilting-do-you-t60344.html)

Mariposa 08-20-2010 05:56 AM

I don't really dislike any of it. Sometimes the piecing of lotsa blocks with tons of pieces, well, I keep a smaller project near by in case i need a break! :)

great aunt jacqui 08-20-2010 05:58 AM

I do not like the quilting because I have to do it on my machine. No $ for professonal. No $ for my own equipment. so it is just me to finish. The rolling and moving a quilt around my dining room table with 2 pups running and playing beneath me is a chore. making mistakes and having to use that seam ripper is a chore. Good thing God did not make me perfect and that I know it.

Butterflyblue 08-20-2010 05:59 AM

Sometimes I dread the quilting, not because I don't like it, but because anything larger than a baby quilt is a little unwieldy for me on my home machine. Also I dread pinning the binding because I poke myself with pins a lot.

I do hate half-triangle squares, not making them but squaring them up, which I find very, very tedious. I think I prefer doing Lemoyne stars with set-in seams over the "Easy" lemoyne that uses HTS.

Deborah12687 08-20-2010 06:05 AM

I do not like putting on the binding because of the bulk of the fabric at that point and I always manage to mess it up and have to do some ripping out to fix it.

BKrenning 08-20-2010 06:16 AM

Before I got the quilting machine & frame, crawling around on the floor to tie or baste and I only did baby quilts back then. Then it was piecing the backings for larger quilts. I hate that! So I started buying extra wide fabric and used a few flat sheets to get over that hump. I think squaring up blocks is a pain now but a necessary one so I use the same method as I do when cutting--square a few and sew them together--maybe one row at a time. I cut blocks the same way. I like binding because that means the quilt is almost finished & I machine bind most of mine. I only hand stitched down to the back side on a few but that was ok, too since I would sit & watch tv with hubby while doing that chore. Wresting with large quilt backs & getting them loaded on the frame is probably might greatest dislike at this point.

Beth33 08-20-2010 06:19 AM

Hate strip binding, the center of quilt is three layers, then the edges are 7 layers, so fatter than the rest of quilt, and always looks funny to me. I can't seem to get it flat.

Twisted Quilter 08-20-2010 06:29 AM

Blocking. :shock:

Lori S 08-20-2010 07:01 AM

My world changed ..once I found longarm quilters! I absolutely hated trying to fit all that fabric, batting through my regular machine. I used to find the batting that had the least amount of quilting required just so I did not have to suffer as long through the quilting part. Using a big distanc inbetween quilting just did not seem to do the quilt justice. It made good piecing look .. sad!
I am happy to say I am a Dedicated Piecer, and love it.

quilterguy27 08-20-2010 07:22 AM

I like all of it. Not sure what I like the least, the whole process ends with a beautiful quilt that someone is going to snuggle in and love. Maybe that's the hardest part, giving it away. Hmmm, I kinda like that part too. I love the whole process. Maybe the quilting part only because it's the hardest, but I still love it.

Kitsie 08-20-2010 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I think I least like the "last half" part. Piecing or quilting the first half is exciting, challenging, fun. Then by the time I get to the second half I'm at the point of being bored with it and just want it to be done----at that's the part that's my favorite!

I agree with that "last half" part! Main reason I like doing samplers!