Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size of quilts do you make? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-quilts-do-you-make-t259748.html)

Rhonda Lee 01-15-2015 11:19 AM

What size of quilts do you make?

I like to make bed size quilts. It seems like I'm always changing the patterns to make the quilt bigger. I don't do wall hangings but think there are some gorgeous ones out there. I've been working on a couple of different patterns from American Patchwork and McCall's Quilting. I don't have software to help me, so out comes graft paper and rulers. Sometimes just adding extra blocks work but other times to get the design to work it takes more figuring. I don't want to just add boarders although I have done that a few times. What do you do to get it the size you want?

Chester the bunny 01-15-2015 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I usually make it whatever size it will make with the fabric that I have. Usually it's the background fabric that dictates the size :o)
I give them all away and rarely make something specific. My favorite way to add to the size of the quilt is to break up a border with a keyboard border within the plain one.
Hope this picture helps.

Sewnoma 01-15-2015 12:11 PM

MOST of my quilts are all the same size, I call it "nap quilt" or "couch quilt" size - 72" x 72"

Why that size? Because it's the size *I* like best for myself! It's long enough to cover me from my feet up to my shoulders, and wide enough to wrap around me plus a couple of small dogs when I'm reading or napping on the couch. Or if DH and I are watching a movie, it's long enough to cover our feet and our laps and wide enough for us to share it. (Again, usually with a dog or two in there somewhere, and maybe a cat.)

Plus I really like square quilts for some reason. I do make bed quilts now and then, but the big 72" square is my favorite.

ckcowl 01-15-2015 12:24 PM

I make 98% of my quilts queen sized. Graph paper is a staple in my world, I buy it in large pads and always have it handy

ManiacQuilter2 01-15-2015 01:31 PM

I mostly make charity quilts now a days so they are more lap size quilts. You might look into getting a used copy of EQ7. I bought mine on eBay for around $100. Worth every penny once you get the hang of it. Mostly doing resizing of quilts to make them into lap size quilts.

PaperPrincess 01-15-2015 02:35 PM

I seem to make medium size throws, usually square and about 60X60. good size for use in a chair and if you want to cover your feet, just turn them on the diagonal.

KenmoreGal2 01-15-2015 02:59 PM

I find it's easy and fun to FMQ a lap sized quilt on my DSM. So that's the size I make. They usually end up about 50 x 65 or maybe a tad longer. I give them away so I figure I may as well make them in a size I enjoy working with. I often create my own (very simple) designs or else I modify a pattern by using less squares and/or bigger borders.

Leslie333 01-15-2015 03:00 PM

I typically make lap quilts that range from 4'x6' to 5'x7'. I'm planning to expand to bed sized quilts next.

Sharonquilts 01-15-2015 03:27 PM

As a beginner, I have primarily made lap quilts for charity and the size varies. Most of them are strip quilts. I like modern quilts so I basically make up a pattern I like. However, today, I tried some small squares and enjoyed that more than I thought. I have a strip top made but I think I'm going to take it apart and make all small 4-color blocks (about 4" square). I surprised myself ... matched the seams far better than I thought I could. Ha!

tellabella 01-15-2015 04:01 PM

All different sizes depending on who or what it's for...but I am finding I do not like square quilts....