Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size of quilts do you make? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-quilts-do-you-make-t259748.html)

tessagin 01-15-2015 04:02 PM

Love this quilt!

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 7048880)
I usually make it whatever size it will make with the fabric that I have. Usually it's the background fabric that dictates the size :o)
I give them all away and rarely make something specific. My favorite way to add to the size of the quilt is to break up a border with a keyboard border within the plain one.
Hope this picture helps.

Sync 01-15-2015 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee (Post 7048843)
I like to make bed size quilts. It seems like I'm always changing the patterns to make the quilt bigger. I don't do wall hangings but think there are some gorgeous ones out there. I've been working on a couple of different patterns from American Patchwork and McCall's Quilting. I don't have software to help me, so out comes graft paper and rulers. Sometimes just adding extra blocks work but other times to get the design to work it takes more figuring. I don't want to just add boarders although I have done that a few times. What do you do to get it the size you want?

I normally like to make bed size quilts .... any size from lap to queen really. When I want to make a quilt larger, out comes the graph paper and then I'm off searching quilt images to see if an idea pops out at me. If I can't find something that says "this belongs with this quilt" .... well then on goes some slab 'o borders.

toverly 01-15-2015 04:09 PM

My favorite size to make is 48 -54 w and 72 long. I think they get used more on the couch or recliner. I too pull out the graph paper to make those square patterns oblong.

Pollytink 01-15-2015 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 7048880)
I usually make it whatever size it will make with the fabric that I have. Usually it's the background fabric that dictates the size :o)
I give them all away and rarely make something specific. My favorite way to add to the size of the quilt is to break up a border with a keyboard border within the plain one.
Hope this picture helps.

Your quilt is SO pretty, love what you did with it!

Boston1954 01-15-2015 06:27 PM

Truth be told, I don't think any of mine are the same size. Mostly they would be considered to be lap quilts.

Jackie Spencer 01-15-2015 06:32 PM

Most of my quilts are queen size, if I see a pattern I like and it's a smaller size, I just make more blocks, and then re-design the border.

Lori S 01-15-2015 07:37 PM

I used to make smaller quilts lap size or twin, because I hated struggling with a bigger quilt in my machine. I find my quilts get put into use if I make bigger quilts . Now that I have discovered the freedom to make large quilts that comes from a good long arm professional most of my quilts are over 76 inches wide , and 86 inches long.

love to sew 01-15-2015 07:56 PM

I make all sizes from small baby quilts to queen size and everything in between. However, after thinking about it, if it is not a baby size (approx 35 x 42), I want to make it at least 55 wide and at least 65 long as that is the minimum for a Quilt of Valor.

quiltjoey 01-15-2015 08:08 PM

I like 54-6" x 72" because I can do them on my DSM. I'm finding $150 to $300 just to much to pay for LA-ing for something that will not be in a show… no quilt police here...

kristijoy 01-15-2015 09:39 PM

I'm a pretty new quilter and I'm making smallish lap quilts or crib size about 40x50 or so. Some of mine are more artsy and intended for wall hangings. I haven't been brave enough to tackle a twin size. I have an idea for my son's bed designed and a pile of fabric in the closet, but until I get my new table from DH :) I won't be able to put together a big piece yet. Maybe in a few months!