Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What thread do you use for the piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-thread-do-you-use-piecing-t233750.html)

Tartan 11-01-2013 04:49 AM

I go with color first but my favourite is Aurifil.

dms 11-01-2013 04:54 AM

I buy Aurafil on sale and like it so much better than CT even though my machine isn't fussy it's just nicer.

ManiacQuilter2 11-01-2013 05:25 AM

I am of the old school and use silk wrapped Mettler.

sewbizgirl 11-01-2013 06:12 AM

I use the same threads I quilt with... mostly A&E Permacore tex 40.

Sewnoma 11-01-2013 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by dms (Post 6380536)
I buy Aurafil on sale and like it so much better than CT even though my machine isn't fussy it's just nicer.

This is me, too. Aurifil is much thinner than CT so it sinks into the seam better for more accurate piecing. Plus it's much less linty than CT thread so I can sew much longer before I have to clean out my machine. And as a bonus...since it is so much thinner, a LOT more fits on the bobbin!

I do like CT thread, though, and often use it for my quilting or decorative stitches. There the thicker CT thread is better because it stays more visible, and while it's lintier than Aurifil it's nothing my machine can't handle. Plus with CT thread prices I can afford to keep a whole rainbow of colors on hand.

Neesie 11-01-2013 06:23 AM

I use Superior So Fine #50, for piecing and quilting. Depending upon the fabric color, I usually use natural or a shade of gray (have light, medium, and dark). I buy it by the small cones.

If I'm top-stitching something, I'll use whatever color looks best, regardless of brand. My machine doesn't seem to care what I use; it's apparently happy with all threads. :)

Quilty-Louise 11-01-2013 06:56 AM

For piecing I use the Connecting Threads.

FOr quilting (I don't have a longarm) I use CT also, but on
my last project (a doll quilt) I used my Floriani embroidery
thread because it has a wonderful sheen to it, I also used
it for my applique stitching on the same project.

LOVED how well it worked for me. I will be doing that again.

mighty 11-01-2013 07:24 AM

I use connecting threads.

Mimiqwerty 11-01-2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6380336)
I use what ever thread is the right color for what I am working on- often cotton thread from Connecting Threads- or aurifil when machine piecing. I use silk thread most of the time for hand piecing. but what ever thread I have, my machine likes, is the correct size/weight and color for my project is what I use. the only thing you need to take into consideration when choosing which thread to use is....is it good, strong thread? the weight of the thread sometimes matters (the finer the better for precise stitching= heavy thread means needing narrower seams to make up for the space the thread takes up)

Same here. Usually from Connecting Threads or whatever is still good from my days of sewing clothes for my daughters.

loisf 11-01-2013 07:35 AM

Aurifil 50 weight. Just a few colors, grey, camel, white and black, and you can piece anything. It's very fine, so your seams are flatter and more fits on the bobbin. Love it.