Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What thread do you use for the piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-thread-do-you-use-piecing-t233750.html)

Tiggersmom 11-02-2013 10:31 AM

Aurifil, in various colors, but mostly an off white 'natural' does most things. I do have a white and black and 2 shades of gray, just in case. Aurifil does not take up room in your 1/4" seam like some threads do and it is Very low lint. I've tried others but always prefer Aurifil.

caspharm 11-02-2013 12:03 PM

I use mainly Aurifil for piecing and a variety of threads (Glide, Omni, King Tut) for my LA. I use Aurifil and am going to try Masterpiece for my bindings.

littlebitoheaven 11-02-2013 02:03 PM

I have tried many different brands. I always seem to go back to Aurifil for piecing.

Thanks for all of the helpful information.

Eileen De Ville 11-02-2013 02:07 PM

I order my thread from Connecting Threads "Essential Cotten Thread Spools" and I am very satisfied.

stillclock 11-02-2013 02:10 PM

i use guterman all purpose thread, usually in grey but sometimes i match the colours in the fabric. i have discovered over the years that it actually doesn't matter one iota as long as it's not high high contrast, like black thread holding white fabric together. the quilts i made 10 years ago don't have any holes in them, nor can you see the piecing thread, just like the day i made them.

aileen

katesnanna 11-02-2013 11:04 PM

Always Gutermann 100% cotton thread. Colors:- Neutral, grey or black. I have other colors too and will sometimes match colors. I recently found that I can buy my favorite neutral on a 3000 meter cone for less than $30 AUD. As the 800 meter spool is around $15 I think the large cone will be the way I buy it from now on.

Knitette 11-03-2013 01:02 AM

Another vote for Aurifil. For me, it actually works out cheaper than Gutermann!

coopah 11-03-2013 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6380936)
I use Coats & Clark cotton covered polyester Dual Duty - - -GASP - HORRORS!

It works well in my machines, and seems to work well with the fabrics I use. Besides, it's what I have a large supply of.

So far, hasn't cut into the fabric of my 15 y.o. used on the couch quilts. The bindings are starting to fray, but all the seams still look just fine - no fraying or pulling or cutting at any of the seam lines.

I use the same C & C and my Pfaff and Featherweights think it's okay!

Rubesgirl 11-03-2013 04:11 AM

Always Aurifil 50wt. Black, dark gray, light gray, beige & white will work with anything I piece. Also like the thinness of it and my machines have never complained about it, either.

Rose Bagwell 11-03-2013 06:44 AM

I mostly use the Essentials from Connecting Threads, but also use whatever I have on hand that matches. I also use a lot of my cone thread from my serger, (that I never used ) and it all works. I am more selective with the thread that I use for quilting. The colors I use the most are ecru, cream, white and gray.