Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are your favorite pre-cuts and why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favorite-pre-cuts-why-t280173.html)

joe'smom 07-04-2016 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7594002)
I don't cut into yardage until I know what I want to make. I find it harder to store cut pieces than yardage, and I can see the yardage that's available more easily.

Same here.

ManiacQuilter2 07-05-2016 04:10 AM

I don't cut my fabric until I have a specific quilt in mind. I am enjoy making the strip tube quilts from Cozy Quilts.

maminstl 07-05-2016 04:12 AM

I think it depends on the kind of quilts you like to make. I went through a phase that I cut up lots of stash into various size pieces - they never get used - just not the way I work. Now, I never cut anything up until I know what I'm doing with it.

Quiltngolfer 07-05-2016 04:30 AM

I like making doll or baby quilts with scraps after I finish making a quilt. That gets rid of the scraps and I love to display the little quilts. The grand daughters love them too.

Sheri.a 07-05-2016 04:34 AM

When my scraps are too small or I don't like them enough to keep for a quilt, I cut them into 1 1/2 inch strips for a future log cabin or string quilt.

zozee 07-05-2016 04:39 AM

I regret cutting 5" squares without a pattern in mind. But I have cut plenty of assorted-width strips becuase when I feel like sewing but don't want to think, I enjoy making string blocks. If they are ready and waiting, I knock out a few at night to relax.

toverly 07-05-2016 05:51 AM

I don't cut until I use them. I purchase my batiks usually a yard at a time also and keep the yardage in plastic totes. But as precuts, I seem to purchase layer cakes and jelly rolls. The layer cakes can easily be cut down to charm squares if needed. I admire your desire to use your stash. Wish I felt so inclined. LOL.

sandy l 07-05-2016 05:58 AM

I am going to spend some time cutting up a lot of fat qtrs. that I seem to have accumulated with nothing in mind when purchased. I'll be cutting a 2.5" strip, a 2.5" sq, a 3.5" sq, a 6.5x3.5" rectangle, and a 10" sq. Any thing left will go into the "donation" box. These shapes seem to be what I've been using the most of lately.

Jane Quilter 07-05-2016 06:16 AM

If I am buying pre-cuts, my favorite is a fat qtr stack. I can make anything, any size out of that. If I am short fabric, when I get around to it , say 2 yrs later, I just add solids, background, or go shopping to "fill in". If I have left over after the quilt i made, then I store 1 yard plus on bds, fat qtr on ft qtr bds, and everything else bonnie hunter style , as neutral strips, or dark strips of various widths and lengths in the same bucket of neutral or dark. The strips make, log cabins, strings, crazys, wonkeys, crumbs, piano key boarders, or can be cut into some squares. I never cut up yardage otherwise.

luvstoquilt301 07-05-2016 06:42 AM

I love a layer cake. I once made a whole sampler BOM out of one of them. You can also cut them into 5 inch charms.

One famous quilter said she cuts off a 2.5 inch strip of every single piece of fabric she buys.

That being said---I do not cut up yardage ahead of time into any sizes unless I have a specific pattern in mind.