Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are your favorite pre-cuts and why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favorite-pre-cuts-why-t280173.html)

rryder 07-05-2016 07:41 AM

I use a lot of fat quarters since they are handy for experimenting with new block layouts. I would hesitate to cut yardage into anything smaller since there are too many times when I need a large piece for setting the resultant blocks into a quilt. But I probably keep a lot less yardage around than most quilters because I just don't have room to store it. I've currently got 10 pieces that are in 2 yard cuts and another 20 that are 1 yard cuts. The rest of my stash (probably around 150yards worth) is either fat quarters or "precuts" that are mostly cut from my leftover scraps.

I generally only cut down pieces that are smaller than a fat quarter. For those pieces, I cut into the largest size that falls into one of the following groupings- 10" squares (layer cake size), 5" squares (charm size), 3.5" squares and 2" squares (a la Joan Ford, since I sometimes make some of the blocks from her quilt books). If I have a 2.5" strip that is at least 22" long I will put that with my jelly roll strips.

Anything that is too small to fit into any of those categories gets used for string quilting, or crumb quilting.

If I had plenty of money and plenty of room, I'd buy lots of those fat quarter bundles and lots of jelly rolls, then supplement them with layer cakes. Those are all very versatile units and you can make some very nice scrappy quilts with them :sew::sew::sew::sew::)

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

mario1360 07-05-2016 04:14 PM

I am a newbie and not very good at cutting. I am doing a bursting star from Jenny Doan, I used a white layer cake but cut 16 10 in squares from yardage, not 2 of them came out the same.....tugging, shrinking etc.... I need more experience which I hope will come with time so I purchase charm squares and layer cakes for now. Also bought a few jelly rolls in black and some white for projects to come. And also bought some 1.5 inch rolls.

ClairVoyantQuilter 07-05-2016 05:15 PM

I belong to a couple of Fat Quarter Clubs so have Fat Quarters up to my ears. But I generally buy yardage unless there's a particular line that I want all of, in which case I order fat quarter bundles or half yard bundles

MadQuilter 07-05-2016 05:18 PM

I don't precut my yardage and only buy the occasional jelly-roll or charm pack when I have a project in mind (and I really like the fabric line). I suppose you could check Bonnie Hunter's precut guidelines. Lots of people swear by them.

WMUTeach 07-06-2016 02:57 AM

Several years ago, I went through my scrap bin and cut most of it into 2.5, 3, 5, 6.5 and 10's I also keep a box of 2.5 strips and I keep all the bias cut strips from binding to use on my scrappy quilts. I find that I I seldom use my 3 inch cuts so I don't cut those any longer. I use the 2.5, 5's and 2.5 strips the most. That said, I have now disciplined myself to not toss small scraps into a bin but to cut them immediately into 2.5 squares and 5 inch squares or 2.5 strips if the piece is longer. If the remainder from a project is more than about fat quarter size I don't cut it into standard cuts. I leave it whole for future use. This fits me and my quilting choices and style. I like dipping into my "pre-cuts" for my scrappy quilts! Quick and ready to go.

jmoore 07-06-2016 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7594033)
I don't use pre cuts, and I don't cut my stash fabric until I know how I am going to use it. Sorry I am no help!!

I'm with Jeanne and Dunster... The only thing I cut ahead are 2 1/2 squares from small left over pieces since they are great for an Enders/Leaders project.

Texas_Sue 07-06-2016 03:41 AM

Look up Pat Speth - author of Nickel Quilts - for 5" quilts - you can do so much with 5" square units. Her website has a lot of free quilt patterns. Just Google her name.

wbfrog 07-06-2016 03:49 AM

I actually like fat quarters I have a stash of them, 2nd is 5" squares the pre-cuts allow you to get the entire line of fabric and they can be cut down to 2.5" mini charms.

Wanabee Quiltin 07-06-2016 05:01 AM

I love precuts. I have many books showing various patterns and I use them all the time. My quilts turn out great. I use the charm squares 5" and jelly rows the most. I have never made a jelly roll race quilt which generally look pretty awful to me compared to what you could make with them. I don't cut up my stash, only scraps.

mhollifiel 07-06-2016 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 7595125)
. . . I seldom use my 3 inch cuts so I don't cut those any longer. I use the 2.5, 5's and 2.5 strips the most. That said, I have now disciplined myself to not toss small scraps into a bin but to cut them immediately into 2.5 squares and 5 inch squares or 2.5 strips if the piece is longer. If the remainder from a project is more than about fat quarter size I don't cut it into standard cuts. I leave it whole for future use. This fits me and my quilting choices and style. I like dipping into my "pre-cuts" for my scrappy quilts! Quick and ready to go.

Unlike most of us, I am a huge proponent of cutting up fabric - all sizes. This is close to my cutting approach. I hate fat quarters so they get cut down almost immediately. If the fabric is cutesy or beautiful, they get cut into 8.5 squares for popcorn quilts - fast and fun. Otherwise, the above is my cutting style and I don't hesitate to cut up lots of yardage especially my Kona Black and Snow into 2.5"strips. I also do some of those (but not as many) in 1.5" for sashing. NO 3" anything! I love 5" strips and squares. The 5' squares are perfect for fast four patches when sewn end to end, cut in half on the unsewn sides, turned and sewn end to end again then cut in two again. Voila! Nice four patches right quick and in a hurry! I also like 5" strips for the bindings on quilts that turn out smallish.

I do anywhere from 100 - 150 pieced tops for my three guilds' charities every year so I find that aggressive cutting helps me get a whole lot done. I have just finished about 60 tops and I don't remember actually "cutting out" even one of those. I used what I had already cut and (I admit) finished up about a half dozen UFOs as well.

NOTE: The beautiful quilts you see in shows aren't mine. I make "quilted fun covers" for kids and if my quilts warm and comfort them, that's my desired outcome. I use lots of fun juvenile novelty prints and fun stuff for "old farts" in wheel chairs.