Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are your favorite pre-cuts and why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favorite-pre-cuts-why-t280173.html)

Feathers-N-Fur 07-06-2016 06:15 AM

My method is to pick a pattern and make a kit or 2 for future quilts. I find a precut kit more interesting than a scrappy jelly roll or layer cake. But my ways aren't for everyone.

klswift 07-06-2016 06:55 AM

I think you should look at the type of quilts you prefer to make. Do you use a lot of 2 1/2" squares/strips? Do you use a lot of HSTs that come from 5" or 6" squares? If you cut into strips that are the sizes you have used most in the past, there is a good chance this is what you will need in the future!

feline fanatic 07-06-2016 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by klswift (Post 7595318)
I think you should look at the type of quilts you prefer to make.

This exactly! I tend to like loads of different types of quilts but I gravitate to MC and NYB a lot. So those aren't really "precut" friendly. Plus I just can't see paying that much extra for my fabric as the precuts carry a premium for their convenience. But I do like looking at the precuts and more than once have almost bit the bullet and bought a jelly roll. But my inner cheapskate always wins out in the end. Maybe if I happen upon a sale and I really like the collection but until then, I stick with yardage. The exception is I have bought a few FQ packs in hand dyes.

When sorting scraps I only cut down smaller pieces. I cut 1 1/2" and 1" bits for offset LC (the smallest piece I use in those is 1" x 1 1/2"). I have some of them precut down to the logs and keep them stored in a candy tin.

I have ziploc bags that have some 2" strips in them sorted by value (light, medium, dark). Odd size scraps from paper piecing I have in ziploc bags sorted by color. I use those to make HST, in applique and also EPP.
My bucket list of quilts I want to make seems to evolve over time so I find it best not to cut up any of my yardage until I have decided on a pattern.

annette1952 07-06-2016 08:52 AM

I used to be really into jelly rolls but then got over them somewhat. For now anyways. Now I am into layer cakes because they can be cut so many ways & they are just cool to me. The only thing is the price of them unless you get a good deal like sometimes on Craftsy & also Missouri Star Quilts daily deal. They are very expensive compared to yardage but if I get the chance to get one then it is a layer cake. I love the fat quarter bundles too but a whole bundle is too much over my budget. They certainly are nice though.

Becky's Crafts 07-11-2016 09:00 AM

My favorite would be fat quarters as I can get so much out of each one. I do a lot of scrappy quilts and they give me lots of options!! :-) I have an extensive stash of them.

Judith1005 07-11-2016 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 (Post 7594122)
I try to keep my stash very small -- one bin. There are 2 options for leftovers. The first is to assign them to a new quilt asap, in which case I cut them into what I need. The second option is to add to a crazy quilt I've decided to start working on to use up my scraps because they're starting to get out of control. I do occasionally have a few pieces of fabric that I really love & hope to use in the future. I mostly do hand applique work so I love Fat 16ths (9x11") -- and love buying that size at LQS, also. I also like 2.5" strips as they are great for sashing & borders.

Because my stash was really starting to get to be too much -- mostly because I had a 2nd whole bin (sweater size for under the bed) that's in a storage closet -- I decided to open up some of that fabric to my 4 year old niece. I made her a flannel board & let her pick from certain fabrics -- especially JAF/HL fabrics from when I didn't know any better. I bought a pinking blade for my rotary cutter & kept an old mat that got warped which I use for pinking cutting. She picks 1-2 fabrics that she really likes most each time she comes to visit & I cut them into doll clothes for her "design wall". I'm thinking this next time I might also cut her some 2" squares so she can do some quilt layouts as well. She absolutely loves that thing; it gets those fabrics out of my stash; and I get the joy of seeing them up on a design wall whenever I go to visit her, too.

That flannel board is a brilliant idea!! I wish my sweet grands lived closer so I could do this with them. I also wish I only had 2 bins. I have way more again then I need. Although, last year, I used a lot of my stash. I can see I need to do that for the rest of the year and next year. It is very inspirational to hear ideas from others!

TeresaA 07-11-2016 09:57 AM

I have been quilting on and off for over 20 years. During that time, my taste in both colors and quilts has changed. I would always want my fabric to be usable for whatever new style I want to do. Thus, I would leave whole pieces, both for flexibility and for sale-ability if I want to cash in what I have and convert to something new. I think people would be more likely to buy, say, FQ's than 2.5 inch strips.

I recommend that if you're inclined to want to cut things up, cut a 2.5 inch strip or two from each of the fabrics and save the rest. Then you have both worlds, a big chunk for flexibility and a strip to play with now.