Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your least favorite part of quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-least-favorite-part-quilting-t77861.html)

Jory 11-23-2010 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
You're not going to believe this but my least favorite part is assembling all the rows after I've made the blocks. Just seems like so much up and down from the chair, matching seams, pinning, pressing, unsewing and resewing because some block managed to magically move out of place, pressing again. It's the size of it all that bugs me a bit.

Jan in VA

How about getting a small table and putting it next to your sewing machine, then using a pressing pad on it, so you don't have to get up and down so many times? you can just swivel in your chair for the pressing, then swing back for the sewing.

matraina 11-23-2010 05:45 AM

I'm with BJ - Putting the sandwich together. I love putting
the binding on.

Fabaddict 11-23-2010 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
I hate borders....ONce i get to borders sometimes I have to let my project sit for a few days to "talk" myself into do them....Measure...cut ..measure...Measure again..UGH!

Instead of measuring with a tape measure, eyeball your quilt - a twin size will take 1 1/2 to 2 wof strips. Cut those, join them, fold your quilt in half, lay it out on table or whatever and measure your pieced border to the folded part and cut to length. Much easier and faster than measuring every thing several times. I always do mine that way and have never had a problem with waves or anything.

rustqlts 11-23-2010 06:03 AM

Quilting!

Flying_V_Goddess 11-23-2010 06:03 AM

Not having enough space to do it in. My sewing space is limited to the space between my bed and my closet, which is about 2 ft. x 8 ft. I don't even sew on an actual table...I sew on a TV tray. I lack the space for a decent sized table.

Other than that, sandwiching the layers is my least favorite. If its a huge project it takes me a few tries just to get it on straight and to get all the layers to lie flat. For my denim quilt just to accomplish sandwiching the layers I had to baste the batting to the back (after pinning both together), pin the top to that and quilt that, and then take all the basting stitches out (I'll never forget the thread color...hot pink).

pheasantduster 11-23-2010 06:08 AM

I'm included with most - don't care for the sandwiching process and basting; then again as I make my last stitch - it's a feeling of accomplishment but kind of sad as I know the quilt is going to leave me!

shopaholic97 11-23-2010 06:14 AM

Love the piecing & sewing but the quilting does me in

eaglebeak1960 11-23-2010 06:21 AM

I am with you I do not like to put binding on a quilt!!!!! I have trouble with it at the corners and the tail end

rebeccalr 11-23-2010 06:22 AM

Finding the time to do it!!

lberna 11-23-2010 06:44 AM

I absolutely dislike making the sandwich. I used to get some anxiety when I was about to make the first cut of my fabric but not anymore. My favorite part is hand quilting. So relaxing.