Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are your suggestions for a 1st timer to Paducah? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-suggestions-1st-timer-paducah-t111482.html)

AliKat 03-29-2011 01:38 PM

I'd also include a small notebook for making notes or drawing designs you like. You are supposed to ask before you take pictures, esp in the vendor areas. I drew some designs that I saw to keep in my scrapbook.

If you can, buy some sturdy cushioned socks. I got some from REI as when I was at Paducah I put holes in my socks from all the wonderful walking.

Since I am from Arizona, YES to a water bottle. However, I take a very little one so I can easily refill it at the water fountains and it weighs less than the bigger bottles.

ali

carolynjo 03-29-2011 04:15 PM

All of the suggested items are great. Tuck in a bottle of water and a snack. Also, take a pack of mailing labels with your name already on them. If you register for something, you don't have to take a long time to sign up. Have a wonderful time.

All of the suggested items are great. Tuck in a bottle of water and a snack. Also, take a pack of mailing labels with your name already on them. If you register for something, you don't have to take a long time to sign up. Have a wonderful time.

mimi423 03-29-2011 04:39 PM

One of my great friends and I went two years ago, we had a blast. We were there five days though, it's gonna be hard to get everything covered. We may be spoiled with having Lancaster PA only a short drive from our house but our opinion is, you can skip Hancocks, so overrated and overpriced, our opinion. Don't miss the Eleanor Burns tent, now that was wonderful, she also does a free show there, well, at least she did when we were there and she's a hoot. Don't miss the vendors in the mall, sorry, I don't know the name of it, my favorite vendor was there, Primitive Gatherings. You'll have so much fun! We did.

Mary in PA

hcarpanini 03-29-2011 04:41 PM

Comfy shoes, snacks, sweater for the main bldg. Lots of energy!!!! A must is a visit to Caryl Bryer Fallerts studio one block from the convention center. It is awesome. Also if you can get to the museum, I highly recommend it.

Tennessee Suzi 03-29-2011 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ladymurphy
I will be going to Paducah for the first time and will be there for two days.
What are your suggestions?
What to carry?
What not to carry?
What not to miss?
Can you have a rolling cart?

Thanks,
Patti

I always go to the Knoxville show but this will be my first Paducah trip! Looking forward to it!

Ladymurphy 03-29-2011 05:53 PM

Thanks for all your great ideas and hints!

ffpln 03-29-2011 07:26 PM

thanks for the info and suggestions , as i am also going to Paducah, a birthday gift to me , with my cousin . have been planning since last year . we are only spending 2 days though . any how i cannot wait .

sewbizgirl 03-29-2011 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Last year a vendor got very mad when she spotted a lady with a note pad and pen outside her booth. She said it wasn't allowed as the person could draw the vendor quilt patterns that were on display. Many vendor booths have a no pen and paper allowed notice and a few will not allow a customer to stand and stare too long at any one quilt on display in the shop. One vendor said they could memorize the pattern. :roll: I witnessed this by overhearing the vendor tell her helper to go interrupt the lady looking too long at the displayed quilt. I didn't give the vendors that had over the top rules posted any of my money. 8-)

Gosh, paranoid much? So you can look just long enough to decide you like what you see, but not long enough to remember how the quilt goes together? Don't they realize they sell patterns to those who want the quilt all spelled out for them, every detail, but there will always be do-it-yourselfers who gather "ideas" and put them together themselves? So sell those people something else, like fabric! I wouldn't patronize a vender with that attitude. Sounds like they need to be reminded that you catch more flies with honey...

I actually don't think it's constitutional to tell someone they can't write on paper or in a notebook, anywhere! It's no one's business if you choose to stop and write something down for your own purposes, and who's to say what your are even writing! I would definitely plan to ignor any "no paper and pencil" rules.

What will they want you to do next, shop blindfolded? :roll: