Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your suggestions for a 1st timer to Paducah?

I will be going to Paducah for the first time and will be there for two days.
    What are your suggestions?
    What to carry?
    What not to carry?
    What not to miss?
    Can you have a rolling cart?

Thanks,
    Patti

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Patti, good shoes or sneakers are a must.
    So is money lol
    A purse that you don't have to hold.

Have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Water
    comfy shoes
    cash
    credit card
    driver's license
    camera
    back pack, or over your shoulder bag, ditch your purse for the day
    small pad and pen
    quart size bag to put business cards, etc
    snacks
    make time for the vendors, but don't forget to admire the quilts
    Advil for the end of the day, your feet will be tired
    BIG SMILE!!

Check on line, some shows only allow strollers or carts on the last day of the show.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you hit "Hancocks" it's not like the Hancock outlet stores. As much as I enjoyed the show. I had just as much fun checking out the area. The whole town makes you welcome. Have a Blast, I'm so envious, I wish I could go this year.!!

Have fun!
    Wear comfortable shoes.
    Take more money than you think you will need.
    Go to Hancock's of Paducah, you'll not want to miss it!

All of the above. BUT, don't miss the quilt museum. If all you get to see there are the stained glass windows, it will be worth it.

Blog Entries
    A non-quilting must is the murals lining the riverbank - awesome.

Eleanor Burns has a 'big' tent at the park;;also a store
    downtown. Don't miss them.

Blog Entries
    Don't miss the Boy Scouts strawberry shortcake for a treat.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I wanna go !!!!

Blog Entries
    In the lobby of the quilt show, don't forget to stop by the YO YO's of Paducah table. These ladies always have something special. Last year they showed how to make the bow tie block from charm squares with a few simple folds and hand stitches. It was worth a raffle ticket for the yo yo quilt to watch them demo how to make it.
    Buy the pre cut batting squares! You can't miss the batting vendor. Piles of batting. The pre cut 20" batting squares are super cheap. Save your fabric money for E Burns tent sale and Hancock's back room. Eleanor has two tent shows twice a day and in between she is at the barn signing books and just visiting with everyone. Her downtown store has different fabric from the tent sale. Look for a big yellow sign outside a downtown building that says Fabric Sale. The quilt shop that vends it, has darn good buys on fabric. She is in a different spot every year as she gets whatever building is vacant at the time. You can walk from the show to the downtown area but you'll need to take the shuttle bus to Hancocks's and E Burns tent sale. Two days is plenty because Hancocks's stays open late. And don't forget to go to the Mall for lots of great vendors. I found the mall vendors had lower prices then the show vendors.

About 20 miles from Paducah there is another quilt show. It's the same days and it's worth going to if you have time. Lots of vendors other then the big quilt show vendors. I forgot the name of the town but it's very close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladymurphy
    I will be going to Paducah for the first time and will be there for two days.
    What are your suggestions?
    What to carry?
    What not to carry?
    What not to miss?
    Can you have a rolling cart?

Thanks,
    Patti
    Their website says, "No Wheeled Carts

For the safety of all attendees, wheeled carts/bags/luggage are not allowed in the vendor/ exhibit areas; use the Package Check located in the Atrium of the Julian Carroll Convention Center and at the entrance of the Pavilion.

Wheelchairs with people in them and strollers with babies aboard are allowed. "

I knew this had been the case at all the previous shows I have been to but wanted to check since things could have changed.

They have a package check/claim and a mailing service right outside the vendor area and you can go in & out as many times as necessary if you would rather (& are parked reasonably close) put stuff in your car.

It sounds like they are back in the hotel again which is a good thing. The giant blow up tent last year was interesting but the noise of the fans was distracting.

Don't forget to check out the vendors downtown.

Spend 2 or 3 days if possible so you don't miss anything and don't wear yourself out trying to see it all in one day.

Do the vendors at the quilt show mark items down at the end of the show dates? Just wondering if it's smarter to wait till the last day to make purchases.

Places to stay are hard to come by this late. They book everything up early.

Is there a website about this show? I probably can't go, but I'd like to dream... :-D

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Is there a website about this show? I probably can't go, but I'd like to dream... :-D
    http://www.americanquilter.com

If you look for places that aren't on the approved/recommended list, you might be able to find something. The first time I went (2005), we stayed at a Knight's Inn on the south side of town and just drove up to the show each day. Paducah isn't very big so it's not much of a drive. There was also a couple other motels in that area but I can't remember the names and they've probably all changed by now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyl
    Do the vendors at the quilt show mark items down at the end of the show dates? Just wondering if it's smarter to wait till the last day to make purchases.
    I didn't notice any mark downs but you do get special show deals on the bigger stuff--sewing machines, long arms, Q-bot, PC Quilter, etc. I would imagine some of the vendors would rather sell than re-pack but I didn't notice any myself. Outside of the quilt show; Hancock's of Paducah has special deals and it's always fun to watch Eleanor Burns at her tent. Saying hi to all the famous (and infamous) quilters, authors & designers is fun, too.

It is the American Quilters Society and here is a link to their shows
    http://www.americanquilter.com/shows_contests/

Quote Originally Posted by frarose
    It is the American Quilters Society and here is a link to their shows
    http://www.americanquilter.com/shows_contests/
    Thank you BK and frarose~ :-D

Look for the cow. There are a lot of vendors there, too. Rotary Building, Eleanor at the fairgrounds. Get there early and stake out your seat, take turns with your friends shopping so that one is always there to save your seat. We've been on the front row the last two times. Can't go this year. Boo Hoo! Go down past the murals and just sit and watch the river for a little r & r. The big "marshmallow" but it is oh, so hot in there. No wheeled carts, please, and if you are in a cart, watch out for others, don't run over them.

Comfortable, well broken in shoes--fashion stops at the knees. Well fitting back pack or over one shoulder bag. Around the waist "fanny pack" for $$ credit cards etc. camera,
    Don't miss Hancock fabric, the mall, the candy shop that is downtown by the art museum.

Been there 7 times and my daughter 12 and going again, not me though. Take your time and see the quilts a couple times, there are so many. Get there early to visit the vendors, gets very crowded. Free bus service and often private citizens will pick you up and take you to the show. They go all out to make you comfortable and welcome.
    I enjoyed visiting the museum the most and some of the historic sites. Talk to everyone you see, people come from all over the world and even if you can't understand them, smile a lot. I took hand painted thimbles I made and gave them to people from other countries with a big smile to let them know Americans are glad to see them here. I received a guild pin from a young lady from Scotland one time.
    Be yourself and treat everyone else like a long lost friend. Hancocks, Rotary club, the mall, the museum, the wall, downtown, Eleanor Burns and be prepared to walk alot.
    Have fun and ask for help from anyone in a red jacket.
    And the flowes are beautiful this time of the year.
    Carol J.

I take address labels so if they have drawings you can put on an address label, and not have to take the time to fill out the entry form.

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I heard all about Paducah and I wish I could go. I would say just unwind and have a good time. Don't buy the first thing you see and take lots of pictures, network and meet new friends!

Blog Entries
    I have never enjoyed a quilt show as much as Paducah.
    I don't think you will want to fight the crowd with a cart (I'm not sure if carts are allowed) I suggest a bag, take snacks/water the lines are really long at lunch time.
    Have fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast