Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are your suggestions for a 1st timer to Paducah?

Don't forget the First Presbyterian Dinner and the Broadway United Methodist Church Dinner. Great value - great price. Make reservations early.

Have fun.

take a small pad and pencil or pen. as you look thru the venders write down the booth number and what you were thinking about, so you can find it again easy. I just did that in Houston. I looked and made notes, then went back to buy and look some more.

o'yea, have fun

Blog Entries
    Be sure to hit the Eleanor Burns show and Fabric Tent at Carson Park. Well worth the trip. Each day she has a color of the day which is discounted just for that day. Fabric is usually
    $5.00 per yard. Great Buys.

Comfortable shoes, fanny pack or small purse you don't have to carry. Money, credit card and if you have room checkbook. Some venders had difficulty getting wireless access for the credit cards, so I wrote checks. Don't forget your camera to bring back all the memories. I went last year and had a wonderful time. Have fun! Don't forget to go to Hancocks, it is wonderful.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    All the above that others have mentioned. I've not been to Paducah, but we are going this year. We have been to other shows.

Remember to do a lot of stretching, bending over once in a while to stretch out your back. I was in so much pain for several days after the show from walking even with comfortable shoes. I will take a smaller purse this time around - and let my DH carry the bag of goodies!

Check out the web site and see what classes are being offered. They fill up fast so if you want to take any classes book them as early as you can.
    I know there are several vendors that will be open down town in store fronts.

Blog Entries
    If the weather cooperates I suggest if you go out for lunch to take the time to visit the paintings on the River walls they are so pretty and tell a story of paducah. Otherwise just enjoy the expierence I sure did, I was only there once and had a ball.
    Pickle

A friend of mine and I went to the mall....lots of vendors were there with some unusal items. But most of all have fun and enjoy all that is around you.

Blog Entries
    I understand there are vendors throughout town and in non-quilt-related commercial buildings. Is there a map posting the vendor locations?

I heard Saturday is the less congested day as it is the last day. What day do you think is best to attend?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol J.
    Been there 7 times and my daughter 12 and going again, not me though. Take your time and see the quilts a couple times, there are so many. Get there early to visit the vendors, gets very crowded. Free bus service and often private citizens will pick you up and take you to the show. They go all out to make you comfortable and welcome.
    I enjoyed visiting the museum the most and some of the historic sites. Talk to everyone you see, people come from all over the world and even if you can't understand them, smile a lot. I took hand painted thimbles I made and gave them to people from other countries with a big smile to let them know Americans are glad to see them here. I received a guild pin from a young lady from Scotland one time.
    Be yourself and treat everyone else like a long lost friend. Hancocks, Rotary club, the mall, the museum, the wall, downtown, Eleanor Burns and be prepared to walk alot.
    Have fun and ask for help from anyone in a red jacket.
    And the flowes are beautiful this time of the year.
    Carol J.
    I think taking a handful of pins to give/exchange is a great idea. I went to Newfoundland one summer and met a couple from Scotland who was giving pins of the Scotish flowers to those they met. It was a wonderful keepsake.

Quote Originally Posted by gmaybee
    I take address labels so if they have drawings you can put on an address label, and not have to take the time to fill out the entry form.
    Better yet - print up some special labels with your phone number on them!

Take advantage of the shuttles! They are free, anywhere you want to go in town, and run frequently! You can probably find a map at the show.

Also, don't sign up for more than 1 class, or you won't have time to see everything else. If I go again, I won't take any classes!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vickimc
    take a small pad and pencil or pen. as you look thru the venders write down the booth number and what you were thinking about, so you can find it again easy. I just did that in Houston. I looked and made notes, then went back to buy and look some more.
    Last year a vendor got very mad when she spotted a lady with a note pad and pen outside her booth. She said it wasn't allowed as the person could draw the vendor quilt patterns that were on display. Many vendor booths have a no pen and paper allowed notice and a few will not allow a customer to stand and stare too long at any one quilt on display in the shop. One vendor said they could memorize the pattern. :roll: I witnessed this by overhearing the vendor tell her helper to go interrupt the lady looking too long at the displayed quilt. I didn't give the vendors that had over the top rules posted any of my money. 8-)

I think everybody has covered the basics. The one thing I'll add is, rest often. Even if you don't think you need it just sitting down for 10 to 15 minutes every hour or so will really help by the end of the day.

Oh don't forget me!!! How lucky for you!!

These are great suggestions! This will be my 1st time attending and I didn't know what to expect. Thank you for asking the question and all that responded.

I'd also include a small notebook for making notes or drawing designs you like. You are supposed to ask before you take pictures, esp in the vendor areas. I drew some designs that I saw to keep in my scrapbook.

If you can, buy some sturdy cushioned socks. I got some from REI as when I was at Paducah I put holes in my socks from all the wonderful walking.

Since I am from Arizona, YES to a water bottle. However, I take a very little one so I can easily refill it at the water fountains and it weighs less than the bigger bottles.

ali

All of the suggested items are great. Tuck in a bottle of water and a snack. Also, take a pack of mailing labels with your name already on them. If you register for something, you don't have to take a long time to sign up. Have a wonderful time.

All of the suggested items are great. Tuck in a bottle of water and a snack. Also, take a pack of mailing labels with your name already on them. If you register for something, you don't have to take a long time to sign up. Have a wonderful time.

One of my great friends and I went two years ago, we had a blast. We were there five days though, it's gonna be hard to get everything covered. We may be spoiled with having Lancaster PA only a short drive from our house but our opinion is, you can skip Hancocks, so overrated and overpriced, our opinion. Don't miss the Eleanor Burns tent, now that was wonderful, she also does a free show there, well, at least she did when we were there and she's a hoot. Don't miss the vendors in the mall, sorry, I don't know the name of it, my favorite vendor was there, Primitive Gatherings. You'll have so much fun! We did.

Mary in PA

Comfy shoes, snacks, sweater for the main bldg. Lots of energy!!!! A must is a visit to Caryl Bryer Fallerts studio one block from the convention center. It is awesome. Also if you can get to the museum, I highly recommend it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladymurphy
    I will be going to Paducah for the first time and will be there for two days.
    What are your suggestions?
    What to carry?
    What not to carry?
    What not to miss?
    Can you have a rolling cart?

Thanks,
    Patti
    I always go to the Knoxville show but this will be my first Paducah trip! Looking forward to it!

Thanks for all your great ideas and hints!

thanks for the info and suggestions , as i am also going to Paducah, a birthday gift to me , with my cousin . have been planning since last year . we are only spending 2 days though . any how i cannot wait .

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Last year a vendor got very mad when she spotted a lady with a note pad and pen outside her booth. She said it wasn't allowed as the person could draw the vendor quilt patterns that were on display. Many vendor booths have a no pen and paper allowed notice and a few will not allow a customer to stand and stare too long at any one quilt on display in the shop. One vendor said they could memorize the pattern. :roll: I witnessed this by overhearing the vendor tell her helper to go interrupt the lady looking too long at the displayed quilt. I didn't give the vendors that had over the top rules posted any of my money. 8-)
    Gosh, paranoid much? So you can look just long enough to decide you like what you see, but not long enough to remember how the quilt goes together? Don't they realize they sell patterns to those who want the quilt all spelled out for them, every detail, but there will always be do-it-yourselfers who gather "ideas" and put them together themselves? So sell those people something else, like fabric! I wouldn't patronize a vender with that attitude. Sounds like they need to be reminded that you catch more flies with honey...

I actually don't think it's constitutional to tell someone they can't write on paper or in a notebook, anywhere! It's no one's business if you choose to stop and write something down for your own purposes, and who's to say what your are even writing! I would definitely plan to ignor any "no paper and pencil" rules.

What will they want you to do next, shop blindfolded? :roll:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast