Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's missing in your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-missing-your-stash-t126978.html)

bearspaws 06-27-2011 09:50 AM

Neutrals, batiks, purples and red/orange/yellows. I have waaay too many blues and greens though.

Rumbols 06-27-2011 10:00 AM

I found I was missing are whites, all light solids, colored solids, and small tone on tones of all colors. I have plenty of prints and wild fabrics but nothing goes together without the solids. Unfortunately, I have to wait until 2012 before buying anything new. Sure am putting these on my list to buy first.

Marcia D 06-28-2011 05:12 AM

Solids

Carolijn80 05-14-2024 10:18 AM

I have a serious problem. We spend our winters down south, got home but cannot locate my stash bin. I have searched all over, even had my hubby look but found nothing. I think I may have forgotten to get it out of the closet. Sigh
What would you all do? Wait until we get back down there this fall or
purchase what I need now?
If I were to purchase now (the thought is staggering) I'm wondering how to go about that.
I'm participating in a group challenge, The Quilting Diva which would be a lot of small pieces. So it's not like I need a lot of yardage.
Again, I have nothing here at home, absolutely nothing.

Stitchnripper 05-14-2024 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Carolijn80 (Post 8648278)
I have a serious problem. We spend our winters down south, got home but cannot locate my stash bin. I have searched all over, even had my hubby look but found nothing. I think I may have forgotten to get it out of the closet. Sigh
If I were to purchase now (the thought is staggering) I'm wondering how to go about that.
I'm participating in a group challenge, The Quilting Diva which would be a lot of small pieces. So it's not like I need a lot of yardage.

well I don't have a stash. Just a few random pieces and a lot of scraps. I only work on one thing at a time. So that is possible. What I would do is find a pleasing pattern and get what you need and when it is finished you wI'll probably have a little toward starting a new scrap bin. Maybe some of your quilting friends can help you out.

WMUTeach 05-14-2024 02:50 PM

Consider going to other sources than a shop. Goodwill, local senior center, friends who quilt and ask if you can shop their scraps. Bring cookies or coffee or both and pick up what you need to make a perhaps a planned scrappy quilt. A little here and a little there. Just an idea.

stitch678 05-14-2024 05:08 PM

Like you, the ones that read as solids are always being used, andcl seldom go fabric shopping as we're getting older and may soon need to downsize & move into town. My solution is to look at the back of small prints to see how they can be used...it's surprising how that often works! Also, l'm making morecscrappies as l tend to accept those without guilt from other quilters, lol...a lot of " solid" and neutrals come my way in small sizes. I just use them all 🙂

Gemm 05-14-2024 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Carolijn80 (Post 8648278)

Someone else mentioned checking out thrift stores (as I do), but it might also be worth reaching out to whatever quilt guilds are down south where you are. Someone may be just waiting for a desperate plea for help like yours to help them deal with a stash surplus. :-)

Carolijn80 05-15-2024 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm (Post 8648310)
Someone else mentioned checking out thrift stores (as I do), but it might also be worth reaching out to whatever quilt guilds are down south where you are. Someone may be just waiting for a desperate plea for help like yours to help them deal with a stash surplus. :-)

Yes the club at our Park keeps a huge stash on hand. Our thrift stores pickings are really slim but maybe in a larger city. I'm getting excited. Thanks

Carolijn80 05-15-2024 03:22 AM

This sounds like a good way to go til I get back to Texas this fall
Thanks