Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's sad about being a quilter... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-sad-about-being-quilter-t158224.html)

gigi10 10-05-2011 06:40 PM

I am very blessed. I have many quilts My Mother made for me. 2 stand out, they are on the twin beds in our guest room. 1 is embroidried baskets, it was the first one. When we decided on twin beds, I said to my Mother,"wouldn't it be pretty to have a different quilt made with the same fabrics?". She said yes and I even have one in mind. When she brought it, I was speechless. It was the same fabrics as the 1st one, but it was ladies embroidried and my husbands Mother's hankies for their skirts. They are really beautiful and they were made with fabric from Walmart. They are treasures. There are more.....as I said I am blessed...in many ways.....mostly because she is 81yrs young and still with me. My time will come, but I will have so much of my Mother with me. Really, it isn't the things we have.....it is the people around us. Don't miss the blessings and miracles around us everyday. Be blessed.

katesnanna 10-05-2011 09:20 PM

Phe! Rehab is for quitters not quilters![/quote]

Love your attitude. Keep it up.

katesnanna 10-05-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(

I've made one for a quilter friend but have never had anyone make one for me. Just as well I've made several for myself.

ScoutingSquirrel 10-05-2011 11:24 PM

I thought that was the main pleasure of the swaps?
It's certainly what I hope to gain from it - particularly the Boomerang Swaps so that there is a unifying fabric throughout the finished quilt ...
I'm hoping to be inspired by the different blocks that people choose to show-off the focus fabric. And of course the buzz of somebody making something just for me!
Helen

quilterella 10-05-2011 11:52 PM

[Really, it isn't the things we have.....it is the people around us. Don't miss the blessings and miracles around us everyday. Be blessed.[/quote]

Isn't that the truth. I lost my Mother 13 yrs ago and my Grandmother last year. Unfortunately, neither of them quilted. But, I do have a couple of knit sweaters my Mom made and some crocheted dollies my grandmother made, along with several pieces of Delft Blue from both of them.
I have made both my kids and 3 grandkids quilts, and will keep doing so. I want them to have alittle piece of heritage with them years from now.

carolaug 10-06-2011 01:11 AM

I went to a friends wake a whle back and her Mom made dollies for her own wake. it was so awesome. They had a basket by the questbook with a note on it from her Mom...and a gift to all one of her dollies. Wow...talk about feeling connected...

AKDaffyodil 10-06-2011 02:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My cousin made me a quilt last year. I was so thrilled and I love it. Here is a pic of it.

The blue in the pic is actually purple.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266979[/ATTACH]

ccthomas 10-06-2011 02:47 AM

My mother made quilts (even with severe arthritis) and gave them to my siblings - even SIL but I never was given one. She said, "You can make one for yourself." She did that with other areas as well. I was always suppose to do it myself or buy it...

I still "lust" for their quilts even though I am very happy they have my mother's gift. They are beautiful quilts and they are cherished - so that is all that really matters.

AllAboutScraps 10-06-2011 02:48 AM

My mom has made quilts for the entire family. Some of us are quilters as well. My sister - a quilter - has made many quilted items for family - again the quilters in the family as well as the non-quilters. So - I guess I'm lucky.

Yooper32 10-06-2011 02:57 AM

I am fortunate. The daughter that started me quilting made a family signature quilt for me several years ago. She sent a blank white square and a pigma pen to all family members and asked them to write something for me and send them back to her to get the quilt finished. I can tell you, it brought a big burst of tears when I opened it that Christmas and started to read all the messages. It is my "treasure".