Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When Binding by machine.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-binding-machine-t298693.html)

Austinite 08-05-2018 05:23 AM

I cut my binding at 2.5" with a die cutter, stitch to the back with a 1/4" foot and then bring to the front and put clover clips on it, double check my corners and things, then I stitch it down, sometimes with a decorative stitch but usually a standard straight stitch.

mengler 08-05-2018 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by VitaLuna (Post 8105932)
I’m certain this isn’t the “right” way, but I actually prefer to sew it to the back first, then roll it over to the front and stitch it that way. Easier, and I like the look better. I use 2 1/2” binding.

Actually from everything I’ve read that Is the right way and the way I do it. Still like the look of hand binding better but in a pinch.. Hand binding is machine to the front and hand to the back. Machine is to the Back and then to the front. So the visible stitch line is on the back and it may be a ways out from the original binding seam line. If your bobbin thread matches the back it’s barely noticeable. If it’s not a baby quilt filament thread hides it even better. I saw another tip where you cut the batting/backing 1/4” wider than the front so it fills out the binding when you wrap to the front. Then wrap the binding gently so it’s just over the guide line. I’m still not great at it.

nwm50 08-05-2018 06:11 AM

I'm with SusieQ.... besides that I like the way it looks more prettier and shows off nice. Time consuming though

EmiliasNana 08-05-2018 06:13 AM

I also sew to the back, roll to the front and sew just on the edge of the fold, holding it with a stiletto. I match my bobbin thread to the backing fabric however, as that is where I like my stitches to land. They blend in with the quilting and no one is the wiser.

pegquilter8 08-05-2018 08:40 AM

Agree witih all the techniques. I put mine on the back by DSM and then fold over to the front and stitch a decorative stitch. Works for me. Plus and no this is not a commercia, I love binding clips. They have made an improvement in all the sewing that I do.

Rhonda K 08-05-2018 08:53 AM

I do like sewing to the back first. Fold over to front and stitch down. I have more control where the stitching lands and can easily adjust if needed. Fun to use a decorative stitch too.

I match the bobbin thread to the backing fabric and it blends in well.

A great topic by the way!

NoraB 08-05-2018 09:11 AM

what a timely post. Rryder, I also have the Martelli zip binding and quarter inch foot set-up. I am determined to make it work for me and have bound this week a total of 3 quilts and have 2 more to do. On the third one, it seems to be getting better. How many did you have to complete before it really started looking good? (I think my first two times - the batting that was way too fluffy). My last one was using warm & natural and I really liked that....so maybe that's the key...find a batting that you can get to work and stick with it? How much practice do I need until I feel it's good? I do machine binding for Quilts of Valor and Project Linus and really want them to look nice.

carolynjo 08-05-2018 01:51 PM

Susie, that's what I do also. I don't mined the time it takes to sew it down; I just want it to look neat.

Tiggersmom 08-05-2018 02:33 PM

2 1/4" folded in 1/2= 1 1/8 you are actually sewing with. If you use 1/4" seam, you are talking 1/2" on the front and 1/2" on the back, then you still have 1/8" left over which depending on the thickness of your batting. I don't like puffy batting so I use Warm and White or 80/20.
If you use a slightly larger seam then the math will work. Or you can cut your binding 2".
JMHO

sprice 08-06-2018 04:43 AM

Jennifer23 wrote an excellent description of how I do my bindings. Work out the width you need to be sewing right at the start and then follow thru for the whole binding.