Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   when does your stash become hoarding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-does-your-stash-become-hoarding-t35963.html)

Katrine 02-04-2010 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
All I can say is I can't wait to go to that garage sale when she passes on!!!

I'll fly out and come too...

Sharon321 02-04-2010 08:55 AM

I think we should intervene. We should help help her with her problem and take it off of her hands.

wvdek 02-04-2010 08:58 AM

Ditto here. Especially she is a hoarder and her DH an enabler. She definitley has an illness and needs stopped. She would be great on the show except they throw so much away!! Goodwill anyone? She could sell it here even. Wonder how many projects she gets done. And to think there are ladies on here who have very little and give their all and scrimp and save to make something for others. So sad.

bj 02-04-2010 09:08 AM

I'd get too overwhelmed by that much fabric. I like to be able to "run through" what I've got in my head when I'm out and see something I think would go with something I already have. My brain couldn't store that much.

Marjpf 02-04-2010 09:15 AM

Some people are compulsive buyers. Sounds like that lady is - she's really lucky to have such an understanding husband. Did she say if she ever uses any of it?

cacarte 02-04-2010 09:36 AM

I do try to limit my stash to my existing storage space. I have to admit that sometimes I sneak in a few extra yards.

Every year I go through my stash and give away to those doing charity quilting.

This makes room for me to buy more fabric.

There is no way I could possibly sew all the fabric I purchase.

I used to go into "fabric deprivation mode" whenever I sewed up some of my fabric. This caused me to purchase twice as much fabric as I used up. I am over that now but it took about 5 years.

Cindy Carter

shaverg 02-04-2010 09:45 AM

Sounds like she needs to open her own fabric store out of one of those trailers.

Moonpi 02-04-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
While I was in wolly world yesterday shopping fabrics, a lady was telling me that she has so much fabric that her husband purchased 2 45' trailers (the ones that semi's pull an call vans) for her to put her stash in.

45 feet by 10 wide would be the equivalent to a 21'x22' sewing room. I think that is a nice size, myself. There are ladies here that enjoy areas larger than that. You do not know how long she has been collecting, or whether she has incorporated other stashes into her own. Maybe her mother died and left her lots of fabric.

Those containers are watertight and can be temperature controlled if they want. I would not jump to the conclusion that a person I have never met has a mental illness simply because she has a larger stash than mine. It is no different than the public storage units which fill up as soon as you rent the space. Give the woman a break!

MadQuilter 02-04-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Those containers are watertight and can be temperature controlled if they want. I would not jump to the conclusion that a person I have never met has a mental illness simply because she has a larger stash than mine. It is no different than the public storage units which fill up as soon as you rent the space. Give the woman a break!

It doesn't sound like she can't access what she has if the container is filled. So having for the sake of having and then continuing to buy more might fall in a variety of unhealthy behaviors category. (OCD of which hoarding is one form and Shopping addiction are two of the possibilities).

cjomomma 02-04-2010 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
Some people are compulsive buyers. Sounds like that lady is - she's really lucky to have such an understanding husband. Did she say if she ever uses any of it?

Now that you mention it she didn't say anything about using it just storing it.