Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   when does your stash become hoarding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-does-your-stash-become-hoarding-t35963.html)

ctmhjenn 02-04-2010 01:05 PM

Wow, that is a LOT of fabric. I am in the process of sorting and grouping my fabric, and I have a LOT. Mostly in bins under my cutting table which is 4x8, but the space underneath is smaller...BUT..I have stopped doing compulsive buying just because I 'like it' and gotta have it....I don't sew as much as some of my friends, my neighbor makes a quilt top a week...can you believe it? She is that addicted and I know that I can pass on fabric to her and it will get used. I know a lot of you are fast sewers and make a lot of things. I am more of the lazy sewer. But, I love what I make, I am good at it, and I give everything away. Joanie

cjomomma 02-04-2010 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi

Originally Posted by cjomomma
While I was in wolly world yesterday shopping fabrics, a lady was telling me that she has so much fabric that her husband purchased 2 45' trailers (the ones that semi's pull an call vans) for her to put her stash in.

45 feet by 10 wide would be the equivalent to a 21'x22' sewing room. I think that is a nice size, myself. There are ladies here that enjoy areas larger than that. You do not know how long she has been collecting, or whether she has incorporated other stashes into her own. Maybe her mother died and left her lots of fabric.

Those containers are watertight and can be temperature controlled if they want. I would not jump to the conclusion that a person I have never met has a mental illness simply because she has a larger stash than mine. It is no different than the public storage units which fill up as soon as you rent the space. Give the woman a break!

This lady did state that there is no room for more fabric, that the trailer was completely filled and that she was starting on the other one. so that tells me that when she says filled she means filled.

shaverg 02-04-2010 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ctmhjenn
I know a lot of you are fast sewers and make a lot of things. I am more of the lazy sewer. But, I love what I make, I am good at it, and I give everything away. Joanie

Ctmhjenn, I am the same way. My stash is not that large and I have also started thinking more about projects I have in mine. I have even walked in a LQS and walked out empty handed. Use to I would just buy. There are still occasions when I buy a piece just because I love it and have to have it.

samroberts01 02-04-2010 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
There's a tv show about Hoarding. Sounds like she could be in an upcoming episode! :-D

I have quite a bit of fabric IMO, two drawers which hold 120 yards each are mostly full and cabinets which have about another 100 yards right now. Yet, I'm sure my stash looks small compared to that of many of you. I wonder how many actually have tallied up the yardage in their collection? I would NEVER have guessed that I have that much yardage simply by looking at it. :shock:

I watch this show all the time it is called Hoarders, right on after another show I always watch Intervention. It is quite interesting.

BellaBoo 02-04-2010 03:17 PM

I have a small stash compared to many quilters. I abhor bins and boxes full of packed stuff even though I have a few in my sewing room closet. I do buy yards of fabric but I use up a lot in between good sales. If anyone is close to retiring buy all the fabric, batting, etc, you can before retirement if your income will not increase during your retirement years.

Boston1954 02-04-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
If you can't access it because it is packed in trailers then it is hording. And he is enabling.

Oh, good. There is hope for me yet. I only have about 10 or 11 plastic boxes, couple of them are not even full. ( I will attend to that eventually...)

renee765 02-04-2010 06:39 PM

Anybody besides me have an urge to clean house after watching Hoarders? My living room and kitchen have less clutter than ever before since I started watching that show. Bedroom closet is next on the hit list.

MadQuilter 02-04-2010 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by renee765
Anybody besides me have an urge to clean house after watching Hoarders? My living room and kitchen have less clutter than ever before since I started watching that show. Bedroom closet is next on the hit list.

I always look around me with great relief to realize that my house is OK. ....however, I have a touch of it as well because it is hard for me to part with fabric. If anyone would come into my sewing room and take stuff out, I would never even miss it - but to pull it out and dispose of it - that is a little harder than I would like to admit.

Elisabrat 02-04-2010 06:55 PM

Um that is hoarding. When you need to put the 'extra' fabric in another seperate building (not to mention 2) well your in the hoarding category. Yipes. That is so scary its like serving someone who drinks too much their 18'th mixed drink for the night. At some point.. How sad. I am sure most of it is not going to survive the venture. So many who would enjoy it.

littlehud 02-04-2010 09:09 PM

I'm not sure I would enjoy that much fabric. I can look at mine and touch it. I want to be able to spend time mixing and matching and I need to see it to do that. That seems excessive.