Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When making a controlled scrappy quilt...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-making-controlled-scrappy-quilt-t222940.html)

yorkie luv 06-05-2013 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio (Post 6104962)
I am a true scrappy girl. Like Jan said first, the more different fabrics the better. Quiltville changed my world. I've made 14 of her quilts and only one was made with 7 fabrics. That one was a scrappy Trips Around the World. My friend from S. Africa does travel around the world and she saw this fabric when I bought it. So that was her wedding gift. Bonnie does lots of controlled scrappy and I do love them. Here are a few. The one on the end is string blocks which are a blast to make.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]417277[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]417278[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]417279[/ATTACH]

I love these quilts. I have yet to do a scrappy,.

asimplelife 06-05-2013 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by QM (Post 6103023)
I use lots and lots. Like Aneal, what I control is value and color families. I never use the paper bag method. I want to control what goes where. My next scrappy on the plan is RWB, on a pattern of my own.

This is me too. The more fabrics the merrier but I do keep my eye on value and in some projects limited color families. I probably obsess more over block layout than over block making!

norwalkgma 06-05-2013 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by yorkie luv (Post 6105045)
I love these quilts. I have yet to do a scrappy,.

"Try it - You'll like it!" I Love scrappy quilts and have made 6 plus table covers x4. The more color the better.
Quiltville is and was my inspiration .

catmcclure 06-05-2013 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by DJinSC (Post 6105019)
Judi in Ohio, what's the name of your second quilt? I love that! Can I find a free pattern do you think? I love scrappy quilts. I'm such a control freak I think I'll do the bag trick so I don't agonize over what goes where. Thanks!

That's a triple Irish Chain. Really easy pattern.

klgls 06-05-2013 06:58 AM

I love the look of the triple Irish Chain - definitely going on my to-do list.

jeaninmaine 06-05-2013 07:36 AM

I love the scrappy look, with a ton of different unrelated fabrics but I like to see a color thrown in to pull it all together so I guess I prefer a controlled scrappy. ie: Bonnie Hunter's Sister's Choice, she made all the star points some shade of med-dark red (or green for her first one). The eight points in each block were from the same fabric. Each of her 9-patches in it were made from a different two fabrics. She used a ton of different fabrics but it was still what i would call controlled.
I love the quilts Judi in Ohio showed, especially the first one.

gardnergal970 06-05-2013 08:38 AM

I just read a description of a scrappy quilt for a sanctioned quilt show and it has to have at least 75 different fabrics!

Jan in VA 06-05-2013 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 (Post 6105476)
I just read a description of a scrappy quilt for a sanctioned quilt show and it has to have at least 75 different fabrics!

Well, there you go! Although, one does have to wonder who set that particular guideline? :rolleyes:
And who on earth will actually have to count the fabrics in the entries?! :shock:

(Hmm, just for grins, I'd love to enter a quilt in that show and use only, oh, 73 fabrics. :cool: :o)

Jan in VA

LavenderBlue 06-05-2013 09:05 AM

Now I realize I did not describe the type of quilt correctly. I know all about scrappy. What I had in mind is making a 40" X 45" table topper 4th of July quilt with 5" squares. When previously making this type/size quilt, I liked limiting the fabrics to only 9 or so. At least that looked best to my eye. THX for all the helpful replies! I can't seem to remove the italics and underline here.....

jclinganrey 06-05-2013 09:24 AM

I agree with Jans' post. Good description. Bonnie Hunters' site has a wealth of information on scrappy quilting. She's certainly one of our current experts on the subject.

Here's a link to instructions on making a scrappy triple irish chain.

http://scrapendipitydesigns.com/blog/?p=1047

It's on my list too!

Jane