Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When you see your quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-see-your-quilt-t197838.html)

auntpiggylpn 08-17-2012 10:55 AM

I know that not all of my gifted quilts are used. I gave them to the person because I love them and I know they appreciate the blood, sweat & tears that goes into them. If they want to save them, it's their choice. I wouldn't want them coming into my house and re decorating it.

I made a quilt for my MIL when she moved out of her villa into an apartment 2 years ago. It was done in her colors (as she has VERY specific colors!). She has it draped across the back of her couch. She says she uses it when she has a headache and lays on her couch (which I doubt that she EVER lays on her couch). She's kind of a strange bird. It doesn't bother me because she has it displayed for all to see. I made her a stack and whack wall hanging and she promptly took it and had it put under glass and framed. She didn't want it to get dusty and ruined. She spent more on the professional framing than I did on the fabrics & time to make it! It hangs above her bed. I know that when she has company in, she brings out all of my handiwork and shows it off. It's her's to do with as she pleases. We had been to a craft show and she was oohing and ahing over the fleece vests with applique on them. I made her one for Christmas. This is no joke: She opened the gift, stated "This is beautiful, let me hang it up." and she got up off the floor in the middle of gift opening and hung it in her closet. I have seen her wear it once but who knows what she wears when I'm not around. I've learned to just take her in stride. I don't take it personally that she doesn't use my items. I know she is a little "different". This is the woman who after her 2nd husband died and she had sold his truck needed to take her van in for some work to be done. Now instead of paying the $25/year for rental car insurance, she went out and bought a brand new Jeep so she would never be without a car!

QuiltnLady1 08-17-2012 11:48 AM

DD and I have both made quilts for my MIL -- and yes she usually uses the backs out because they are not too busy. I am just glad she uses them. The thing she uses the most, however are the fleece throws that I make for her legs -- they are a solid color with only her name embroidered on them. I try to make a couple new ones a year since she lives in a nursing home and the wash messes up things.

ckcowl 08-17-2012 12:11 PM

once you GIVE a quilt it is no longer yours to decide how it is used-or even whether it is used. you gave it away-
maybe they like the back better than the front- just because you like one side over the other doesn't mean everyone will- we all have our own tastes- maybe the one on the bed is covered to protect it- maybe you should be happy it's not in a garbage bag in the attic or basement- or in a goodwill box.
no- i do not think you should say anything- it is no longer yours to decide how it lives- unless you are asked about how to care for it - you should just be happy they like it well enough to use it at all

TanyaL 08-17-2012 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5447239)
once you GIVE a quilt it is no longer yours to decide how it is used-or even whether it is used. you gave it away-
- or in a goodwill box.

Since you had given it away, would you be hurt to find they had given it away also?

KSellers 08-17-2012 01:08 PM

I made quilts for my great nieces and nephews and the only thing I said as the parents admired them was "All I ask is that you use them -- don't be afraid of something happening to them cause I can always make another." It's nice to see them being used. I lovved the comment about making forts out of them -- I remember as a child dooing that with quilts my great grandmother had made -- fond memories.

quilter1943 08-17-2012 03:07 PM

When I give a quilt it no longer belongs to me. It's difficult sometimes, but that's the way it is. Our daughter and her family use them always. In fact, she asked if I still had fabric from one I made her husband so he could trade them out and I could take one home and repair it because he just loves it and it needs some work. I can't ask for more than that: They love the quilts I make

momto5 08-17-2012 04:08 PM

Maybe your quilt was covered by another because the owner wanted it close to them? Just sayin'...could also have been done that way to protect it...:)

Pat625 08-17-2012 06:15 PM

I am happy to see a quilt I made being used anywhere, inside out, upside down or backwards!! It was a gift for someone to use, not to be hidden away!!

HillCountryGal 08-17-2012 06:34 PM

I believe we all put our hearts + a lot of time, $$$ and energy into our quilts.

In an ideal world they would be put and used in a place or honor. We don't live in an ideal world.

Right now, I have three quilts that my Mother (now deceased) made. They are each hand quilted. Can't begin to imagine how long it took her to create these beauties. However, there is no way and not enough places for me to display all of them. So, I rotate using them on the bed in the guest bedroom. Figure this is the best way I can honor her.

My Mother's theory was at least someone is enjoying _________ . (fill in the blank)

If I made a quilt especially for someone only to learn it wasn't used, appreciated or given away. I'd be sad.
However, I would have also learned a lesson. Wouldn't go down that road again.

Grace creates 08-17-2012 06:43 PM

If a quilt is not used I don't like it. I want my quilts to be used but taken care of reasonably well.