Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When you see your quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-see-your-quilt-t197838.html)

bakermom 08-18-2012 07:13 AM

I guess I'm the only one here that doesn't stick my nose in someone's bedroom to see if they are using a quilt I gave them.

Friday1961 08-18-2012 09:28 AM

At least they still have it and have not donated it or given it to the dog! ;)

I agree with others; once it's given, it's out of your hands and control. Yes, my feelings might be a little hurt but I would NEVER say anything.

May in Jersey 08-18-2012 09:35 AM

I try to keep the backing kind of plain so they can put that side out if they like.

Reminds me of the guys living in a Vets Home, a group of us made twin size quilts for their beds and most of them had the quilts' backing showing not the top with pattern.

I've also make quilts for all of the brother's and sister's grandkids, 8 so far - 2 kids in each family, and have to say last time we were all together my nieces each had the kids's quilts in their strollers.

Have to say if I saw one of my quilts thrown in a corner for the dog I might say something like "If I knew you wanted a doggie pad I would have made you one instead as I make them for animal shelters, they go together much quicker and certainly are much less expense for me to make.

Neesie 08-18-2012 10:07 AM

I'm just thrilled it's being used, period! :thumbup:

(edited) Just read the comment about the dog using it. If I gave a quilt and later saw it being used for the dog, I'd probably ask for it back, with the promise to make one for the dog.

Sierra 08-18-2012 10:09 AM

All of my quilts have been made for a specific person, with the exception of the give-aways during blanket drives and for raffles to help grandchildren go on special adventures. The same couple, extended family, won in two of these two different times! They said that if they won the second year they wanted to have it ignored, and it was. Then the news came that they saw something in that first quilt which upset them (and after studying a picture of it I was able to see it also). I asked for it back so I could take care of the probem, even told them I'd be over on a certain day to get it. They couldn't find it! I called up the hubby at work and talked to him and he admitted they weren't comfortable with it, because of the "picture" and that it just was too busy. I told him to return it and I would make him something "calmer" and asked about his wife's favorite colors. After a lot of thought I decided to make a French braid in the colors she likes (he likes anything she likes), soft and subdued. I even bought one of those roll things to be sure the colors went togeher.

I'm going crazy making this quilt now!!! I love them, but I hate blocks and repeditive patterns! Give me free form quilts any day. My method is to work on the braid every time I begin to work on quilting at least for half an hour. These are special people and they deserve something they might really enjoy. This new one is also a lap robe, or across the foot of the bed (whatzicalled?) quilt. Maybe it will make it into their guest room, maybe not. Maybe when the loved mother comes she will like it and take it home. Great! At least that would mean it not hidden in some deep hole. Anyway, they will know I tried to make them a quilt they will like.

I'd be bummed big time if a quilt I gave was used for a dog's bed. We just got a new puppy and he is going to get a dog bed and blanket, but it isn't going to be pieced! Out of about 100 quilts I've been pretty lucky. They are far from "perfect" but they all have a lot of love stitched into them, even the give-aways.

collady 08-18-2012 10:51 AM

If it is being used, I don't care. Just as not being misused, ie. in the dog's pen, or the bed of the truck under greasy tools. On the bed, on the couch, in the car, those are good places.

Toni C 08-18-2012 11:09 AM

If they are using it all I would be tickled. (Except that hand quilted one that took me a couple of years on the garage floor for a dog bed.) Never said anything but never gave them anything else either. OK another question:Would you want the person you gave a quilt to say right up front "Thanks but I really don't like this." and give it back to you?

Sandygirl 08-18-2012 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra (Post 5449399)
All of my quilts have been made for a specific person, with the exception of the give-aways during blanket drives and for raffles to help grandchildren go on special adventures. The same couple, extended family, won in two of these two different times! They said that if they won the second year they wanted to have it ignored, and it was. Then the news came that they saw something in that first quilt which upset them (and after studying a picture of it I was able to see it also). I asked for it back so I could take care of the probem, even told them I'd be over on a certain day to get it. They couldn't find it! I called up the hubby at work and talked to him and he admitted they weren't comfortable with it, because of the "picture" and that it just was too busy. I told him to return it and I would make him something "calmer" and asked about his wife's favorite colors. After a lot of thought I decided to make a French braid in the colors she likes (he likes anything she likes), soft and subdued. I even bought one of those roll things to be sure the colors went togeher.

I'm going crazy making this quilt now!!! I love them, but I hate blocks and repeditive patterns! Give me free form quilts any day. My method is to work on the braid every time I begin to work on quilting at least for half an hour. These are special people and they deserve something they might really enjoy. This new one is also a lap robe, or across the foot of the bed (whatzicalled?) quilt. Maybe it will make it into their guest room, maybe not. Maybe when the loved mother comes she will like it and take it home. Great! At least that would mean it not hidden in some deep hole. Anyway, they will know I tried to make them a quilt they will like.

I'd be bummed big time if a quilt I gave was used for a dog's bed. We just got a new puppy and he is going to get a dog bed and blanket, but it isn't going to be pieced! Out of about 100 quilts I've been pretty lucky. They are far from "perfect" but they all have a lot of love stitched into them, even the give-aways.

What was the "upsetting" picture? hmmmm AND you made another one for them? wow!!
sandy

captlynhall 08-18-2012 04:27 PM

I am probably too sensitive, but I would be very hurt if a quilt I gave to someone was not treated with respect. I hand quilt, so it takes me most of a year to complete one. Not to mention the cost. I have just completed a first anniversary quilt for my son and DIL and though things are a bit tight right now, I am flying with it to Oregon to hand deliver it. I want to see their faces and hear their voices when they receive it. It they don't like it or don't seem to appreciate what they are getting, it will be the last one I will ever do for them. I feel like I made every stitch with love, and I am definitely emotional tied to the quilt. I guess because I appreciate my grandmother's quilts so much, I want the recipient to have that same feeling of appreciation for what it took for me to complete their quilt.

TanyaL 08-18-2012 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=Toni C;5449486]If they are using it all I would be tickled. (Except that hand quilted one that took me a couple of years on the garage floor for a dog bed.) Never said anything but never gave them anything else either. OK another question:Would you want the person you gave a quilt to say right up front "Thanks but I really don't like this." and give it back to you?[/QUOT

In that case I would feel free to ask why they didn't like it - the colors, the pattern, the fact that it was a quilt?
I would rather take it back and send them a blanket than have them keep quiet and maybe, maybe not keep the quilt. I'm sure that I liked it or I wouldn't have made it.