Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you buy your binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-buy-your-binding-t166450.html)

0tis 11-06-2011 08:48 AM

I think some of the fabric manufacturer's are making binding now - I just saw a tutorial and they have binding at Riley Blake designs. Sure would be a time saver.

sewsewquilter 11-06-2011 08:51 AM

Have you tried the Simplicity Bias Tape Machine. No more burning your fingers with the iron. :-) Makes making binding a joy.

Dolphyngyrl 11-06-2011 08:28 PM

make my own too, making it is the easy part, is it the sewing it down that you loathe

GrannieAnnie 11-06-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mandie (Post 4639470)
I loathe making my own binding. I have been searching for a good place to by binding bty any ideas?

Just cut strips of one of the fabrics in my quilt.

Why pay someone else to cut strips for you?

GrannieAnnie 11-06-2011 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis (Post 4641010)
I think some of the fabric manufacturer's are making binding now - I just saw a tutorial and they have binding at Riley Blake designs. Sure would be a time saver.

I can make my own binding in the time it takes you to order yours.

EmbQuilt 11-06-2011 09:17 PM

You can also try your lqs - I have seen them at some stores. I used to purchase mine because I didn't like the process of making it. Now, I sort of use it as a soother. I ignore all around me and iron, cut, sew, iron again lol then attach to quilt then hand sew or machine sew depending on project.

missionslady 11-07-2011 12:00 AM

Although I have used purchased binding, I much prefer the kind I make. It is better quality with a wider choice of colors, and I find it is not as stiff as purchased binding. I stick to straight binding and have never had a problem. The main reason you would need bias binding is going around curves and scallops, but my quilts thus far have all had straight edges. One suggestion that helped me was purchasing a special binding ruler. It is 2 1/2" wide and 24" long (I think). That way I don't even have to spend time measuring, I just lay the ruler down and cut with rotary cutter. Very fast and easy. I believe I ordered it from Clotilde. I usually make my binding first thing, that way, it is ready when I need it. Hope that encourages you to try making your own again.

Theresa 11-07-2011 03:18 AM

Hey, if you live near Oregon City, I'll be glad to make your binding for you! It's a part of quilting I enjoy!

teddysmom 11-07-2011 03:32 AM

Somtimes I sew strips of the material in the quilt itself to make the binding. It's always the right color and pattern, it saves me money and keeps me from having to make a decision on what to buy for the binding.

gollytwo 11-07-2011 03:45 AM

I make my own if it's to be a straight binding.
For bias binding I buy. I have about a dozen from Joann's (what I used to use my coupons on) and 5 or 6 solids from an on-line shop called, I think, Bias Bindings (bought years ago)
I realize I could do it myself, but don't want to.