Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where do you sew and quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-do-you-sew-quilt-t37044.html)

yourstrulyquilts 02-18-2010 07:59 PM

I used to quilt where I could find the room. As each kid moved out I got a bigger room. Now I occupy what used to be the Family Room. It's an add-on by the guy that used to own it, and it has baseboard heat, and it cost a lot to heat it. DH is always cold and I'm always hot, so I have the FR, and I keep it kinda cool. It is the biggest room in the house and I'm Lovin' it! It's got a closet, a place for a small refer (that's where my batting is) and shelves and cupboards all built in. I have it decorated in African, focusing on elephants. I love it there; so quiet, unless I want tv or stereo. :thumbup:

dsj 02-18-2010 08:14 PM

My formal living room is my sewing room. It is in the front of the house where the natural light is perfect. The back of our house is dark and dreary. The only bad part of it is when you walk in the front door that is what you see first. I have to explain a lot of messes and nothing matches in there either. I have a couple of chairs to sit in but when my floor frame is up it spans the length of the room. I can't clutter my work space with furniture. I have 3 quilts in frames right now and a repair stretched out on a table and it is my favorite room in the house. The quilts are always a conversation starter.

GailG 02-18-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by dsj
My formal living room is my sewing room. It is in the front of the house where the natural light is perfect. The back of our house is dark and dreary. The only bad part of it is when you walk in the front door that is what you see first. I have to explain a lot of messes and nothing matches in there either. I have a couple of chairs to sit in but when my floor frame is up it spans the length of the room. I can't clutter my work space with furniture. I have 3 quilts in frames right now and a repair stretched out on a table and it is my favorite room in the house. The quilts are always a conversation starter.

Why explain the mess? It's your house; your hobby. Lucky you to have such a great room.

weatheread 02-18-2010 08:18 PM

We just bought a house last April it came with a 16 X 32 Storage building that is insulated with central air and heat I got it for my sewing room If it had a bathroom I would never leave it has a large closet Refrigerator table chairs and microwave but the nearest bathroom is about 50 ft from my sewing room

katherine p 02-18-2010 08:31 PM

I have a third bedroom with my serger, and an older necchi sewing machine for patching etc., which I hate to do. Also in the room is a twin bed, tv, and computor. In addition to this I have a large room in the basement that I store most of my fabric, thread and sewing supplies. But most of all I like to sew in the living room. That way I can see what's going on and don't feel so isolated from everything.

wraez 02-18-2010 08:43 PM

We moved into a house 6 months ago with a large master bedroom with retreat to the side. Hubby said I could have the bedroom for my sewing room and we sleep in the retreat, nice and cozy.

And with all that space my sewing room is STILL a mess. He even made me a 4x8ft sewing table, which is wonderful.

My dining room is lacking furniture right now and has tile flooring. That is where I put the quilt down to be spray basted and sandwiched.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

bjdemir 02-18-2010 09:34 PM

I guess I got lucky. Our first house had a basemment and hubby built a sewing room. Our next house (1973) had a laundry room, but we moved the w&D into the next room which was an oversized 2nd bath. So I got my sewing room and now I have the family room (also down stairs - we have a tri level) that I use for my cutting room. Still in the 1973 house! It was just built then.

reginalovesfabric 02-19-2010 05:47 AM

I turned a bedroom into a sewing/fabric room. I usually sew in the den where there is a table for my featherweight and my quilt machine that is on a 14 foot frame is located.
I am in the process of having an addition built that is 14x28 for my daughter and baby to come home and live with me. If she buys a home them all my sewing will go into that room.

rosalia856 02-19-2010 06:21 AM

I orginally had my sewing room in a small 8x13 BR out grew it . Moved to the basement after my wonderful husband made an esculator to the basement. I haave MS and this saves me from taking the steps. One half of the basement is my sewing room and the other half is his studies for teaching Sunday School. We both can be togeather and share our thoughts.If I have small things to cut out or sew I bring them to the LR and use a TV tray. Sometimes when we travel to MI I will take a quilt that needs it's binding sewed down. That makes the trip goes fast also. Have project ,have supplies will sew just about anywhere. Kind of crazy those quilters.LOL

crazicorn 02-19-2010 07:17 AM

At our dining room table. I set everything up when I want to sew and then I tear it down when it's dinner time, then I set it up when I want to sew. Sometimes I get set up and then something comes up, I have to leave the house and when I return it's time to tear down. <sigh>
One of these days I will have an actual sewing room. :-D