Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who are the "Quilting Police" .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-%22quilting-police%22-t118033.html)

IrishNY 04-24-2011 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by FQ Stash Queen
I consider them to be people with their noses up in the air who are very insecure to begin with.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Like bullies, they are insecure people who feel good about themselves by pointing out your flaws. I feel sorry for people like that and that helps me keep from giving them any rent-free space in my head when they criticize.

madamekelly 04-24-2011 12:54 PM

Quilt Police definition for Newbies!

Definition = Self appointed, usually smug people, who have given themselves permission to critique and demoralize other quilters. They will complain, compare, and nit-pick your work to death, just to satisfy some strange emptiness in themselves. Most quilt police, instead of making quilts, spend all of their time seeking other quilters to annoy.
Synonyms = Creep, kill joy, jerk, know it all, loser, etc.

jeanneb52 04-25-2011 06:37 AM

Quilt police are neurotic people who never get the pleasure of laughing off a mistake.

Homemother 04-25-2011 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
Quilt police are neurotic people who never get the pleasure of laughing off a mistake.

This is really good! I like this definition because we all usually laugh off our mistakes! Uptight people don't make good company. :roll: :lol:

Meme2six 04-25-2011 11:58 AM

I will never quilt well enough for competition. My two favorite sayings are:

Finished is better than perfect
and
If you can't wrap a sick child in it, it isn't a quilt.

The second one isn't set in stone. Wall hangings, table toppers, place mats, anything that is done with love is a quilt.

sewbizgirl 04-25-2011 01:18 PM

Usually old, female, been quilting a long time, and members of guilds forever. Bring on the new generation of quilters!

Radiana 04-25-2011 01:35 PM

I took a class at a quilt shop once and I couldn't believe how snippy people were. First of all the teacher told me she didn't like the rotary cutter I had and then a couple of people asked why I chose the colors I did. They wanted to sell me a few new fabrics. That was it for me as far as live classes go. I prefer you tube for instruction.

maryb119 04-25-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Radiana
I took a class at a quilt shop once and I couldn't believe how snippy people were. First of all the teacher told me she didn't like the rotary cutter I had and then a couple of people asked why I chose the colors I did. They wanted to sell me a few new fabrics. That was it for me as far as live classes go. I prefer you tube for instruction.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I used to teach quilting classes at the LQS when I worked there. Sometimes, we had students make a few remarks but for the most part, we had fun in class. You could try a class at a different shop. Please don't give up on classes for one bad time.

chairjogger 04-25-2011 01:56 PM

I really miss the facebook "like" button on so many of these ! Great answers.. hah!

saf 04-25-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by bamamama
The quilt police usually leave you a PM so that no one else will know who they are. You can delete those!

Thank you for giving me permission to do what I should have had the confidence to do in the first place. Bless YOU. :lol: :lol: :lol: