Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why am I having a hard time letting it go? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-am-i-having-hard-time-letting-go-t38418.html)

I go To The Sea To Breathe 03-05-2010 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by GailG

Originally Posted by Rachel
I'm having the same issue. I made a t-shirt quilt for my cousin from her deceased husbands t-shirts. I HATE it. All the way thru the process, I haven't been happy with it, but I sure dont' wanna drop it in the mail to her. I think its just because we spent so much time on them???
In my case (probably not the same for you), I'm assuming it'll be packed away in a box and never thought about, let alone seen again.

I know how you feel knowing that the work you did will not be seen and appreciated. I think one reason some people put them away is that they want it to stay as nice as it is -- they don't want it to get messed up. My mom puts things away like that. One of her friends made a lap quilt for her and she has put it away. Every now and then I'll pull it out to throw over a new baby or a sleeping child. She brags about the pretty quilt her friend made for her and all the hours she must have spent on it. And then she says that it's a shame to mess it up. I think it's a gesture of value and honor. So give that quilt to the one that it is intended and know that it will be treasured -- whether it is away in a closet or draped somewhere in a place of honor.

That's probably true to some it is showing respect by putting it away. I hadn't thought of it that way.

winia 03-05-2010 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I'm getting ready to fly up and visit my family in WA on Thursday and I've got the bargello I made all folded up and ready to give to my mom. For some dumb reason I'm having a really hard time with letting it go. I suppose it's because I lived and breathed that quilt for a month solid trying to get it ready to take with me. That's the only reason I can think of because I really don't like the quilt for myself. The colors aren't ones I'd pick out for myself, and I have no use for it. It was intended for my mom from the get go so it's not like I ever once thought about keeping it.

Does anyone else have this issue with gift quilts, or am I just goofy?

There's always the nagging thought in the back of my head when I finish anything and give it as a gift. Will they like it.
If they don't gush, I automatically assume they don't, and then
I start saying to myself I shouldn't have made it for them.
This stays with me until I go to visit again and find it prominently displayed someplace.

anglgrl 03-05-2010 08:20 AM

Its nice when people like what you give them and then show it by displaying it.

Marguerite 03-05-2010 12:17 PM

You're not alone. The colors on that quilt are beautiful. I would have a difficult time giving it away too.

bluesnowdoe 03-05-2010 06:05 PM

I do get attached to my projects
before I give them up I take pictures
I have a album of things I have made and given away

mem123 03-06-2010 06:20 PM

Rachel..I know how you feel. I made my Mom a wallhanging with fabric she picked out. I didn't really like it much but when I gave it to her she raved about it for months and showed everyone that stopped by to visit. Well, my mom is gone now and I have the wallhanging back. Now I think it's so beautiful because she loved it so.

KarenSimon 03-06-2010 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by mem123
Rachel..I know how you feel. I made my Mom a wallhanging with fabric she picked out. I didn't really like it much but when I gave it to her she raved about it for months and showed everyone that stopped by to visit. Well, my mom is gone now and I have the wallhanging back. Now I think it's so beautiful because she loved it so.

One of my hobbies is counted cross stitch. I did a waste canvas project on a sweatshirt for my mom. It said, "world's greatest mom" It was her treasure. I got it back after her death in 1996.