Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why am I having a hard time letting it go? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-am-i-having-hard-time-letting-go-t38418.html)

Rachelcb80 03-02-2010 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm getting ready to fly up and visit my family in WA on Thursday and I've got the bargello I made all folded up and ready to give to my mom. For some dumb reason I'm having a really hard time with letting it go. I suppose it's because I lived and breathed that quilt for a month solid trying to get it ready to take with me. That's the only reason I can think of because I really don't like the quilt for myself. The colors aren't ones I'd pick out for myself, and I have no use for it. It was intended for my mom from the get go so it's not like I ever once thought about keeping it.

Does anyone else have this issue with gift quilts, or am I just goofy?

All folded up, ready to go......
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27042[/ATTACH]

Marjpf 03-02-2010 02:29 PM

Every so often I make one for someone else, and have a hard time giving it to them. It's usually because I invested so much of myself in making it perfect for them that I feel like a part of me is going with it. I'm sure your Mom will be so happy with this quilt, and that she will appreciate all you did for her.

Rachel 03-02-2010 02:30 PM

I'm having the same issue. I made a t-shirt quilt for my cousin from her deceased husbands t-shirts. I HATE it. All the way thru the process, I haven't been happy with it, but I sure dont' wanna drop it in the mail to her. I think its just because we spent so much time on them???
In my case (probably not the same for you), I'm assuming it'll be packed away in a box and never thought about, let alone seen again.

vjengels 03-02-2010 02:36 PM

Maybe it's 'gift letdown' you know, you put your heart and soul into that beautiful quilt, some people ( me) get the same feeling on Christmas morning; what do you have to look forward to? or, now you're in 'transition'; behaviorists will tell you any meaningful transition is difficult, just recognize it for what it is, know that the feeling will pass, and move on. You did beautiful work, lovely presentation.

Rachelcb80 03-02-2010 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
I'm having the same issue. I made a t-shirt quilt for my cousin from her deceased husbands t-shirts. I HATE it. All the way thru the process, I haven't been happy with it, but I sure dont' wanna drop it in the mail to her. I think its just because we spent so much time on them???
In my case (probably not the same for you), I'm assuming it'll be packed away in a box and never thought about, let alone seen again.

I'm thinking it must be the time invested issue. I know for sure my mom won't pack this away in a box. She'll gush and "ooh" and "ahh" over it. She'll probably leave it laid out on the floor for two weeks so she can look at it whenever she walks by the living room. Then she'll talk about it in every conversation we have for the next 6 months.

I sure hope your cousin appreciates your quilt and doesn't just pack it up. Good luck getting it in the mail! :)

dakotamaid 03-02-2010 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
Every so often I make one for someone else, and have a hard time giving it to them. It's usually because I invested so much of myself in making it perfect for them that I feel like a part of me is going with it. I'm sure your Mom will be so happy with this quilt, and that she will appreciate all you did for her.

I agree, sometimes it is just hard to part with my "babies"!

Kathi in PA 03-02-2010 02:43 PM

I feel the same way. You love making them and you are so proud of your accomplishments, it's hard to let go, but sometimes you get to see them displayed with as much love and pride as you felt. I hope this makes sense, I haven't had supper yet, so when my stomach is empty, my brain doesn't work that well. LOL!!! BTW your quilt and how it is gifted is very pretty!!

Kathi in PA

:thumbup:

shaverg 03-02-2010 02:44 PM

If I have a hard time parting with it, it is because I wonder if they are really going to like it. Even though I only give my things to people that appreciate the work.

tkhooper 03-02-2010 03:22 PM

I so know what you are saying.

Now I keep a data sheet with each project. Hopefully with a picture as well although I'm not much of pictures. This way I can remember all the love I put in each one.

BKinCO 03-02-2010 03:24 PM

Well now you've gone and made it all pretty with a bow...now it's going to be even harder to give away :) She is just going to love it!! You'll probably feel so much better about giving it away after you actually do it because she'll be so appreciative!