Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-people-buy-whole-bolt-fabric-t184338.html)

Ruby the Quilter 03-31-2012 05:04 PM

I only buy the bolts of the white on white prints, and if I'm doing a big project for a room and need pillow shams.

stchenfool 04-01-2012 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Peg (Post 5099880)
The only time I bolt a whole bolt of fabric was for background fabric and it was on sale.

I have to agree it needs to be on sale, maybe have in mind for a backing/border but after that I think I too would get tired of it!

chuckbere15 04-01-2012 09:09 PM

The only time that I bolt a whole bolt is when a store was closing and it was ten dollars or that I absolutely loved loved loved the fabric and the pattern that I'm using it for requires fussy cutting.

babyboomerquilter 04-02-2012 07:48 AM

I will buy a whole bolt if it is on super sale or I just love it! I figure I will use it for somthing down the road.

tadpoles_62 04-06-2012 06:16 PM

i also buy whole bolts , great for backing , and cheaper

SuzieQuilts 04-06-2012 06:54 PM

Our guild is having a bolt party this summer. Participating members are going to each buy a bolt of batik that is on clearance and then swap yard for yard with each other.

kuntryquilter 06-15-2012 04:21 AM

I have bought whole bolts of muslin. I use it for backing small items such as placemats & table runners.

burchquilts 06-15-2012 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinggirl (Post 5099823)
My favorite fabric line is Kansas Troubles. I always buy a whole bolt of wide fabric so I always have it on hand for my quilt backings. Plus, buying the whole bolt insures that I won't have to pay a higher price per yard when fabric prices increase. Just a personal preference for me. :)

Plus, if you end up needing more fabric, the dye lot matches. Take it from one who found out the hard way, if the dye lot is different, you're in a world of hurt!

P. S: I love, love, love Kansas Troubles, too! Yum!!! Plus the various collections all go together!

burchquilts 06-15-2012 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by kuntryquilter (Post 5290244)
I have bought whole bolts of muslin. I use it for backing small items such as placemats & table runners.

I always buy my muslin by the bolt. I get a bolt of bleached & one of unbleached. I use it for almost all the backs on my quilts (unless CT has some good stuff on clearance) & nothing makes me madder than to run out when I'm putting a back piece together.

burchquilts 06-15-2012 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts (Post 5122429)
Our guild is having a bolt party this summer. Participating members are going to each buy a bolt of batik that is on clearance and then swap yard for yard with each other.

That sounds soooooooooooooo fun! You're so lucky to belong to such a neat guild!