Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-people-buy-whole-bolt-fabric-t184338.html)

Favorite Fabrics 06-15-2012 06:16 AM

If you sew professionally, or sell at craft shows, you can easily go through full bolts of popular fabrics.

sandybeach 06-15-2012 06:53 AM

I have purchased bolts of fabric because they are white on white or I just loved the black/white pattern. If you want blenders, this place has bolts of blenders for $2.98/yard (usually 15 yards). Also the white on white (W/W) are $3.25/yard. (Type W/W in the search line).

http://fabric4less.com/

You have to sign in to see the prices, but it is painless.

carla m 06-15-2012 09:50 PM

i think i wouldnt buy a whole bolt either unless it was white black or cream since i seem to go thru tons of those and could use it on anything. although my mil gave me a bolt of black fabric with beautiful lilacs on it ive used it to back a quilt and a border for another its a good thing im crazy about purple cause there sure is alot of it left id really like a skirt out of it but with it being cotton im not sure id want to iron it all the time although i do think it would be pretty, im really not much of a garment sewer i have nightmares about high school home ec lol.
carla

applique 06-16-2012 05:07 AM

Quilt your skirt, then it doesn't have to be ironed! Same for jackets, coats and vests!!

Originally Posted by carla m (Post 5292226)
i think i wouldnt buy a whole bolt either unless it was white black or cream since i seem to go thru tons of those and could use it on anything. although my mil gave me a bolt of black fabric with beautiful lilacs on it ive used it to back a quilt and a border for another its a good thing im crazy about purple cause there sure is alot of it left id really like a skirt out of it but with it being cotton im not sure id want to iron it all the time although i do think it would be pretty, im really not much of a garment sewer i have nightmares about high school home ec lol.
carla

Caroline S 06-16-2012 07:36 AM

I will buy a whole bolt of fabric especially if it black because I do not like to run out and blacks are nigh impossible to match. I also like to not piece my borders so I want enough to cut whole length borders. I will also purchase a whole bolt of fabric that I absolutely love and know it will be used in other quilts.

MacThayer 06-16-2012 09:08 AM

I bought a whole bolt of Kona Cream, because it's my absolute favorite background fabric, and I use it everywhere, and I got a great deal. Now I wish I'd gotten two! I bought a whole bolt of a kids fabric, and yes, I made the same quilt for all of the "little" grandkids, but since they're all spread out, and it was absolutely darling fabric, it worked. I used the leftovers for a few baby quilts for the local hospital. I used a whole bolt to decorate my "girl cave" and sewing area. Actually ran out and had to buy more, but not a lot. I often but not always buy batting by the bolt. I have what is left of 3 bolts of generic backing material, wide size, all different, and I love each one. So great to have on hand. I guess the point is that each purchase of a bolt involved a conscious and well thought out choice to obtain something I would definitely use, if not immediately, then over time. It had to be a fabric I wouldn't easily tire of. And it had to be not just on sale, but involve a significant savings over buying it by the yard. Just to buy a bolt because I love the fabric, with no clear plan on what I was going to use it for, is something my budget can't afford! LOL! But that doesn't mean the thought hasn't crossed my mind!

Jim's Gem 06-16-2012 10:05 AM

I have bought whole bolts that have been clearance priced, or at a fantastic price. The Quilts for Kids quilts that I am currently putting together come from 3 bolts of coordinating fabric that I bought for $1.69 a yard. And it's Bernatex fabric!!!!