Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why Do You Have More Than One Machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-you-have-more-than-one-machine-t211343.html)

ncsewer 01-19-2013 03:25 PM

Me too. I kept my old one of 20 some years and got a new one that did more embroidery. Then while I was looking for a FW I found an old red eye at a garage sale, then I found a FW. I used the FW to take to a friends house when she needed some things hemmed and taken in, so light and easy to move. So I don't use them much, but sure is fun to go and play .

'

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 5796005)
Just cause I love the machines. I like collecting them, some I sew with, some I just have! LOL!

Jingle 01-19-2013 05:16 PM

I have six machines, 1. is the first I bought in 1964 2. is a White Jeans machine I bought in 1993 or 1995, stored away and I need to get rid of it. 3. Is a Quilter's Star, I think by White machine, needs to be serviced, used it for several years, small throat, I thought it would be better than the others for quilting. 4. is a Juki TL98QE with 9" throat, wonderful for quilting, a great machine. 5. is a Babylock Jane with a 9" throat great for quilting , I use it for piecing and back up for the Juki. 6. is a Brand new, never used before Vandervoort machine, Singer 15 clone, made in Japan. Made for a defunct dept. store that used to be in St.Louis. It was given to a Grandson, his Mom didn't want it,I gave him 100.00 for it. I have used it for piecing, prefer the newer ma
chines.

So I use two all the time.

sewnsewer2 01-19-2013 06:26 PM

I have 2 emb/sewing combo machines, 2 more sewing machines, (one I take to classes etc) and a serger. I normally have both emb machines going and am serging/sewing on the others all at the same time.

Who says I can't multi task? :D

kaelynangelfoot 01-19-2013 06:36 PM

I only have one machine but I'd love to have three. One for piecing, with a permanent 1/4" measure, one for FMQ, and one for costumes/clothing. I spend a lot of time switching out presser feet, thread, etc. It would be nice to just be able to switch machines easily.

cr12cats 01-19-2013 07:05 PM

i like to have 2 at least so i have a back up. last few months been using my back up as my favorite died. time to keep my eye open for another one.

Wintersewer 01-19-2013 07:12 PM

Check Craigslist. One can usually find a 60s-70s Kenmore at a good price, $20-$30. These all steel machines can't be beat. Just be sure to get one with low shank foot and a center homing needle.

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot (Post 5798354)
I only have one machine but I'd love to have three. One for piecing, with a permanent 1/4" measure, one for FMQ, and one for costumes/clothing. I spend a lot of time switching out presser feet, thread, etc. It would be nice to just be able to switch machines easily.

overdew 01-19-2013 08:31 PM

I admit that it is a sickness. I have (1) Mamaw's treadle, (2) Mama's Singer bullet shuttle electric, (3) 67 blue Singer with cams-my first machine, (4) Janome 9500 sew/emb, (5) Singer 3-thread serger, (6) Kenmore free-arm, (7) brown 401a. They all have their special talents and I keep 4 ready to use at all times.

rushdoggie 01-19-2013 08:41 PM

I have 2, my basic Kenmore which has a zig zag and works great but was really small to machine quilt on, and my Juki2010Q that I just got at Christmas for quilting. I use the Juki for most piecing and quilting but I can use the Kenmore when I need to zig zag, or sew clothes as it has a free arm.

asimplelife 01-19-2013 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer (Post 5797410)
What is the "box feed"??

In Juki's words about the F600:
Box Feed - Industrial Sewing Machine Technology
In order to provide beautiful seams and outstanding feed performance, Juki adopted box feed system. The conventional feed mechanism is oval motion. This eliminates material shrinking and shifting. The accurate feeding system provides superior stitch quality for a variety of light to heavy weight fabrics.
  • Capability to sew from light to heavy weight materials
  • No Fabric shrinkage even sewing on extra light weight materials
  • Thick handles can be sewn with ease

From what I read by users of this machine it is similar to Pfaff's IDT. Feeds the fabric evenly and doesn't pucker up. Some say they don't need to use the walking foot attachment because of the box feed.

mooshie 01-19-2013 09:10 PM

Well, I have 4. I still have my origonal machine that my parents bought me (used) in high school. It's a 50 yr old Viking with cams. I still use it on occaision, and keep it around as a backup and for something to teach my kids on. Then I got a new Viking in 2005 that I love it's a "Scandinavia 200" Just a few decorative stitches, but it has done everything I needed it to do for the last 8 years, and I have my Elna serger that I've had since 1996, and I just got a Babylock "Crown Jewel" that I love!

If I had it my way I would like to add an embroydery machine! And maybe one day an antique one with the origonal treadle, but if that never happens it's no big deal.

So apparently my ideal sewing machine collection would include 6 machines. LOL! And here I think I'm just so "basic" as I really only think of my "Scandinavia" and serger, but I guess the other 2 are sewing machines too huh? Though the old Viking spends most of it's days in the case unused. Perhaps it's time for more sewing lessons. But my 12 yr old DD is afraid of sewing her fingers. Hehe, gotta get her to practice lots to get over the fear.