Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why Do You Have More Than One Machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-you-have-more-than-one-machine-t211343.html)

Karen's Kreations 01-20-2013 06:55 AM

Do I really have to count them? I have an older Pfaff, a Bernina 440 with the embroidery package, a BabyLock Audrey which I got for traveling and classes before I found my FW, a very old Singer that was a gift from a friend when his mother died and a HQ Sweet 16. I had another older Singer that I found at a garage sale - that one I gave to a granddaughter. I've used them all.
OOPS, forgot the treadle machine that was my grandmother's. It has a broken belt so I've never used it but I can't bear to get rid of it.

KathyE 01-20-2013 07:41 AM

I have a Kenmore that I've had for about 14 years and then about 3 years ago I upgraded to a Viking Quilt Designer which I love but still love my Kenmore too. The Kenmore is smaller and "less expensive" so that is the one I take with me when I go to a class or sew with a friend.

mshollysd 01-20-2013 07:48 AM

I have a Kenmore from 1990 that I still use, and when I married my husband 2008 , he had a sewing machine, we bought a singer embroidery machine 2009, then I got a juki 2010 9 inch throat to quilt on frame, and finally I have an 18 inch long arm I just bought a few months ago. I also have two sergers, one I purchased when our Joanns was going out of business in 1997 and another that was given to me from St Vincent DePaul's thrift shop (needed $75 servicing) Over the years, I have picked up $25 machines, and donated them to our local Boys and Girls Club, and my church for quilting for World relief. Over the years you get different tastes and can't get rid of the previous machine because they still work . I also have a teen who likes to sew so I keep three sewing machines set up all the time, and also the two sergers. The sergers have white thread on one, and black on the other. (I hate changing out thread). Thank goodness my DH is very understanding......

Michellesews 01-20-2013 07:52 AM

I am a firm believer that a machine should do one thing and one thing well. Therefore, I have a longarm that only quilts, a Brother PR650 that only embroiders and a Babylock Crescendo, that, well, does everything else! Oh, and the featherweight because it's so cute.

jbj137 01-20-2013 08:26 AM

I have a FW, 301A, 66-, Kenmore (ancient), and 2 Singers).
But usually use the 301A.

hobbykat1955 01-20-2013 08:30 AM

Have 9 and now I say WHY....I use 3 of them and the others "Vintage Singers" all sit and then I feel guilty because they don't get used...Maybe I'm looking fwd to a dream sewing rm where they can all be used and displayed.

Maggieloe 01-20-2013 09:08 AM

I have an older Kenmore (1972) - a real workhorse. 5 years ago, after not sewing for awhile I purchased a Viking 870 because of the big throat, special features, and because I "deserved" a nicer machine. Last year I bought a brother pq1600s because FMQ was frustrating on the Viking, and I could not find appropriate FM foot for my Kenmore which does FMQ well. Also the Kenmore has a small throat. I use the Brother most for quilting and piecing, the Viking for fancy stitches or anything that needs to be zig-zagged and the Kenmore sits in the closet which makes me sad because I do love it.
I also have an Evolution serger because I wanted to serge and decided I "deserved" it. (I'm going to "deserve" the poor house if I keep this up.) Wonderful serger and I use it primarily for alterations. Not sure that justifies the expense, but then . . .

rainagade 01-20-2013 09:25 AM

I have the Big Brother and a little Brother. These two are always ready to go.
I like how the little Brother sews. She was my first embroidery machine and never let me down until I wanted to do some jackets for our car club.

Then my little BabyLok which is the one I take to classes because it is light weight. She comes out to the kitchen with me if we turn on a good football game. Sews like a dream.

then I have my DH's antigue White in a cabinet I never use.
In my sewing room I have my MIL Singer, antigue and my grandmothers Pfaff, which both work but are not used by me. I am not sure how old they are, but, they are all metal machines.

I traded my mothers Montgomery Wards in on my Big Brother. I don't think she would of minded, she knows how dearly I dreamed of a machine of this nature.

The sad part is, none of my daughters or DIL's sew. Where is all this stuff going to end up?

maryb44662 01-20-2013 09:31 AM

I have a Bernina Serger, which I use all the time. A Bernina Artista 165 with embroidery module, which I use to embroider while sewing on my Bernina 1260. These machines have paid for themselves over and over again. I love BERNINA machines, can't you tell. :o

DeAnne-Mn. 01-20-2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 5796005)
Just cause I love the machines. I like collecting them, some I sew with, some I just have! LOL!

Me too, just love the history and look of the old machines. Likke the way they sew also.