Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why Do You Have More Than One Machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-you-have-more-than-one-machine-t211343.html)

MaryLane 01-19-2013 06:58 AM

Sometimes it just happens. When people comment on what my husband thinks I always say, "He understands that though he COULD do woodworking with a single power saw, having the correct tool for the job makes things easier and turn out better. He encourages me to get what I need." And, he does. But, he has a heck of a woodworking shop, too.

I only had my 1985 Sears Kenmore and a throw away Singer serger for years. I wore those out. So, I bought a sewing/embroidery combo and a new serger thinking I was set for life. I was not. I wanted to sew while that embroidery machine ran. Someone at church gave me a small, mechanical machine. I hated that thing. It was okay for small projects but nothing big. My sister now has it.

So, I went looking for another machine with a large harp. I bought a Janome 6600 which I love but it is too heavy to take anywhere.

I had always wanted a treadle machine. My DIL gave me her grandmother's. Then I started looking on line at vintage machines. I like tinkering. I wanted a FW but didn't think I would find one. So, I bought a 301 which my husband was SUPPOSED to paint red for me. He wouldn't because it was so nice. He said, "Buy another and I will pain it." I use the 301 when I go to class, retreat or want to sew in the basement by the fire.

In the mean time I found a 1936 FW and a 99K. Both were good prices. Now, my husband has a "bug" about vintage machines. So, I bought another 301 for him to tinker with and paint. I do a lot of piecing on the FW.

When my grandmother died I inherited some money and bought a HQ16 quilting machine and frame.

I also found a heck of deal on a used portable Janome - $15. My DIL had started sewing. I got it for her to use.

When my DILs are in it is very handy to have multiple machines set up and running. At Christmas, my MIL's single machine quit and my SIL showed up at my house to sew all day. Since I was sewing I needed multiple machines going. Forgot, I have my MIL's Juki upholstery machine in the basement right now.

weezie 01-19-2013 07:01 AM

I have 2 sewing rooms, one upstairs and one down. I have 2 machines just for quilting, one to go on my frame, which is currently & unfortunately dismantled, and the other is set up in an L-shaped arrangement in a corner of my downstairs room. I have one very basic good quality, lightweight machine, easy to transport. I use my upstairs machine for piecing and embroidery. I have a Singer treadle that I've had for over 50 years. I have a serger. And, finally, I have a spare ... an old computerized workhorse that is way too good to get rid of and would not bring enough on trade-in.

Caswews 01-19-2013 07:02 AM

Wow !! and I thought having 5 was cool .. LOL actually 3 and a pink serger !LOL Gotta have back up, in case one goes down. I have a Pfaff ambition, 2 Brothers, a Riccar and the pink serger.

catmcclure 01-19-2013 07:03 AM

I bought a Janome in 1993. Then I needed a machine and bought a Brother at WalMart just to have something to sew with when I was away from home for a couple of months. Then, hubby bought me an Innovis-D with the embroidery module about 7 years ago. Then someone gave me an old Morse Fotomatic. Then, last year I found a 301A at a garage sale for $25. They all work and I can take the 301A to quilt retreats. The Innovis is my favorite. The Morse and the Janome are backup machines. The WM Brother is available if anyone needs a loaner or I'm going to be camping for a while.

jitkaau 01-19-2013 07:14 AM

Why does it matter?

Quilter Day-by-Day 01-19-2013 07:15 AM

I like to collect them I guess, my intention was to buy clean them and oil them and then sell, but I ended up keeping them all. I just bought two more an old Singer in a cabinet,another Singer Futura ll in a big cabinet just for the cabinet so I can put my Futura in it and then I will sell the other machine after I finish cleaning it and oiling. My DH is always with me when I buy them he always says yes most of the time.

bigsister63 01-19-2013 07:37 AM

Good thing I have 2 machines since my Brothers broke and is in he shop! (BooHoo) I have a pretty good Singer that I am now using.

ShirlinAZ 01-19-2013 07:52 AM

For years I had 2 sewing machines - a serger and a mechanical with a few decorative stitches. DH bought me a wonderful Pfaff with a lot of decorative stitches and my sewing enjoyment grew fanatically. When I got heavy into quilting I realized that I needed a second machine for those quick jobs like mending and dresses for new DGD, so I bought a fairly basic and lightweight brother. I have added an embroidery machine to the mix, and bought a 1925 Singer 127. So, as of now I have 5. I will inherit my mother's Singer model 15 when she is through using it (not soon I hope), and I'd love to have a long arm (not likely to happen). I love sewing and sewing machines, but I think I would draw the line at 7 (if I were lucky enough to get the long arm).

grandme26 01-19-2013 07:57 AM

I have a Bernina for my main machine. Then I bought a Brother's to take to classes and to use as a back up to my Bernina. A couple of years ago I was able buy a FW which is now my class and back up machine. A couple of months ago I bought an embordery machine which I love. Right now my Bernina is sick and I am debating to get it fixed or by a new machine..It is 20+ yrs old and I bought it for sewing clothes before I stated to quilt,

In a couple of weeks, after Monday, repair surgery to my right hip, I will decide if I can justify a new machine with the medical bills. I think I can so will pick up a machine that I can quilt with and is also an embrodery machine.

Suze9395 01-19-2013 08:12 AM

The break down:
Serger-to serge ;)
Juki TL98E - straight stitch piecing workhorse
17" midarm on frame - quilting
Viking - anything other than straight stitching
Featherweight - when we go bye bye