Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why Do You Have More Than One Machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-you-have-more-than-one-machine-t211343.html)

Suze9395 01-19-2013 08:19 AM

My husband one time why I needed so many sewing machines...I asked, with sincerity, why he needed so many saws. He now understands!

wolph33 01-19-2013 08:22 AM

lol I have many machines.I just love them all.I have 2 Husqvarnas designers se and diamond.a babylock straight stitch,babylock serger,and 5 featherweights,3 singer 99's,and 2 singer 501's.I just love both kinds -newer and vintage-I admit I hoard them.to quote my 5 yr old grand son-I can not control myself.

Mariah 01-19-2013 08:34 AM

I have 2 machines,because I couldn't part with the machine we bought when we were first married 52 yrs. ago. It still stitches like a dream. I enjoy sewing on it in the afternoons; it is in a Southeast Bedroom, and I can look out at the birds, bushes, ect,and enjoy also the Sunshine.
My Featherweight I bought 9 yrs. ago when I Retired. I love it, as it gives a great stitch, and is fun. It is in the family room, and I sew on it in the evenings when we watch tv.
The grand daughters enjoy sewing on it also.
Mariah.

mic-pa 01-19-2013 08:47 AM

I have three janome machines. Two of them embroider. Always need a back-up

Milli 01-19-2013 08:51 AM

I've seen many posts about people saying they have several machines. I have a sewing/embroidery combination and that's my only one. What do you do with the different machines?[/QUOTE]

I had a kenmore for 25 years then hubby thought I needed an upgrade so buys me a newer Kenmore, the I thought I needed a quilting machine so we got me a Pfaff 2048, my friend had an embroidery machine that I enjoyed so he surprised me with a Brother Innovs 900d, and in the past month the pfaff and brother quit so I hauled out the Kenny and he just purrs along, that is why I have three machines.

P.S. the first kenmore still works, my daughter is using it.

newbee 01-19-2013 08:57 AM

I have a big Pfaff with a big throat made for FMQ that is really heavy. I bought the cheapest mechanical Pfaff made to take to classes and sewing "crops." It is light and easy to tote around, and has the two stitches I need--straight and zig-zag. I keep the big one for quilting and the little one for piecing. I love having two good machines!

Sewnoma 01-19-2013 09:12 AM

I "only" have 4 machines - one is my first machine, a Kenmore I bought when I first moved out on my own in the early 90's. For years and years that was my ONLY machine, but I didn't do much sewing (mostly just curtains and the odd hem here or there, and very rarely a small baby blanket). Then the quilting bug bit me and I decided I needed something more modern - I wanted a drop-in bobbin, needle up/down function, etc. so I bought a Brother Cs6000i. It's a good little machine, but "little" is the operative word here. After making just a couple of quilts on it I got tired of the small harp and how it always scoots away from me as I sew and decided to invest in a larger, more heavy-duty machine, and got a Janome 6600. Oh how I love my 6600!! My 4th and most recent machine is a Brother Pe770 - it's an embroidery-only machine, which is a lot of fun.

I don't want to get rid of my Kenmore because it's solid as a rock and still works after all these years - it's a great backup even though it's very simple, plus I have a sentimental attachment to it since it was my first machine. My little Brother I use as my portable machine and as a loaner when a friend needs it, and it also has a free arm (which my Janome lacks) so it's handy for certain (non-quilt) sewing projects. It's small and light so it's easy to take out and put away often. The Janome is my main machine that stays set up 24/7, and of course the embroidery-only machine is it's own thing. So....I have four sewing machines. :)

MargeD 01-19-2013 09:18 AM

Sometimes it just happens that the sewing machines multiply. My initial machine was a "Stradivaro" - I'd never heard of the name either, then I bought a Sears Kenmore that I used for years until I literally burned out the motor - not good when you see smoke coming out of your sewing machine - maybe I really was sewing too fast. LOL. After the Kenmore I bought a Singer, but after a year or two traded it in for a Janome 4000 - I was just not pleased with it's performance with all the quilting I was doing. Then along the way I got a FREE Brother machine at the local recycling center, I bought a sewing machine in a cabinet for $25 - good deal I thought - this was before the Brother. I wound up giving this machine to my sister and when she passed away it went to her DGD. The Brother came in handy when I needed the Janome serviced. I then inherited a Sears Kenmore in a cabinet, which I eventually gave to my DDIL. I still have the Brother, then my girlfriend gave me a Sears Kenmore that she had picked up at the recycling center, and it has about the same bells and whistles as my Janome, so now I have 3 machines. Out of all the machines, I only bought three of them and the rest were "rescues". I think I'm covered now.

oldtnquiltinglady 01-19-2013 09:35 AM

I think I could repeat at least once every girl's reason for having more than one sewing machine--and I do have one of every make possible, working and non-working, plus a Gammill LA on l4 foot frame. I LOVE the FWs (5, some in better shape than others); HAD to have a 301 and got 2 for the price of 1 about a year ago; a workhorse Singer 201 that does all my straight stitching work; a Special Edition Elna (the 50th anniversary edition) that is my very favorite and stays out and ready for anything I want to use it for; a HV Designer I that I am supposed to learning to do embroidery on; and a blue million others that just happened to catch my eye at yard sales and flea markets for $5 or so. I clean them up and give them to whoever mentions that they would like to have a sewing machine.....It is a good feeling in my heart to see that I am not the only one who feels this way.

patchsamkim 01-19-2013 09:38 AM

I have my Bernina 1230 that I have had for about 20 years and will keep it until it decides to quit sewing (which I hope is never!)...I have my featherweight...which I got from my aunt.,..it was my grandmother's machine...I have my Brother PQ1500S for machine quilting....has the wider arm and sews fast! I also have a Bernina 180 with embroidery unit....which I bought at a great price, but never have really used it a lot...I love my 1230 so much. It does have some fun stitches that I do get it out sometimes to use them, but haven't really used the embroidery unit as I thought I might...sometimes think of selling it, and then I end up keeping it...just in case.

That is a list of my different machines and why I have them all....the only other machine that I may buy "someday" would be a smaller, lighter weight machine to take to classes. I do haul my 1230...have a case on wheels so it isn't too bad, but something lighter weight would be easier.