Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why I make scrappies I think. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-i-make-scrappies-i-think-t215513.html)

Sierra 03-05-2013 09:42 AM

What I see in these first 3 pages of reasons why people make scrappy quilts is a lot of quilters who have something inside them screaming to get out. Repeatedly responders said things about the freedom, the colors w/o "matching", the memories (both real from recognized fabric, or remembered because of the variety of fabrics). I think those of you who enjoy scrappy quilts are ready to fly in new directions, dare to quilt w/o patterns, experiement and if you don't like it, give it to a charity (someone will like it!). Too many of us are stuck on "patterns". Time to let go and DO your thing!

meldmac 03-05-2013 10:16 AM

I'm new to quilting but scrappy are my favorite because of the freedom of no pattern.

sewplease 03-05-2013 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 5906286)
...Plus I like to buy lots of small pieces of fabric....fabric that I "can't live without" but can't afford the space (or dollars) to buy six yards at a whack. I treat myself to fat quarters and half-yards all the time so I have a huge variety of small pieces of fabric...perfect for scrappy quilts!

I really agree with this. When I get that feeling that I WANT to buy fabric, I've been getting 1/4 yd pieces for my strip bins. I love all the colors and variety.

twinkie 03-06-2013 03:49 AM

I am with you. I just love scrappies.

sandy l 03-06-2013 04:08 AM

Love doing a scrappy quilt, they just make me happy.

Daisy Dew 03-06-2013 04:48 AM

I love em all. But I had an eye opener a while back. I had always made pattern quilts and I really like them, I no longer like the BOM - I think I've tried about every block out there. Anyway I had made a planned scrappy it was so much fun - 6 strips sewn/cut into sqares/cut square diag/put together and you have a light and dark going on.
My daughter (40's) was over and I wanted her to have a quilt and she wanted one. So I pulled out all my quilts and the one she picked out of all my very planned/precise quilts was the scrappy! So lesson learned - the other 3 kids all did about the same thing. Son picked out a flannel raggy - go figure.

I do like a planned quilt so now most of my quilts are scrappy but with a plan - and they are a lot of fun.

clsurz 03-06-2013 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by deedum (Post 5904870)
Why do you like scrappies?

Because I'm a free spirit and do not like to be known as a cookie cutter,i.e., following someone else's creations. I like one of a kind thing when it comes to creating.

I don't think I could duplicate even what I create if I tried cause my mind just does not work that way. I see it in my mind and I start sewing, slashing and/or cutting it all after I sew and recreate it many times.

Elfi2 03-06-2013 05:05 AM

I like scrappies too because I can follow my own ideas and I will probably never get 2 the same, they are bright and I think of the original reason why people got the make their quilts, was with scraps of other things - dresses, pyjamas, shirts, etc..... Not to say I don't like the other kind of quilts, I admire them too but I don't suppose I will ever buy a pattern to make a quilt, I follow my own heart :) Happy quilting to you all!!!!

jaly3162 03-06-2013 05:52 AM

I much rather sew a scrappy anytime. Even the quilts I make by a pattern have a scrappy element to them ( ex. Turning twenty).

Lorileik 03-06-2013 06:01 AM

I also love scrappy quilts for all of the above reasons. I also like them because I do not have to "think" too hard about the color choices. They always come out very nice and very colorful!