Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wish I could see the contents :( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wish-i-could-see-contents-t64759.html)

Yarn or Fabric 09-14-2010 03:27 PM

I was out shopping yesterday and saw a few new magazine issues - and they were sealed in plastic so you could not leaf through them. .... so I figured I could check online... but nooOOOOoooo.... Fons and Porter doesn't show preview pics

There were 2 other magazines that were wrapped up in plastic and I forgot which ones they were....

I always like to leaf through them to see if I want them - and on occasion I've bought them - although I'm still upset that I actually misplaced one I bought 2 winters ago and now I'm ready to make the project and can't find it lol. I'm determined to find that magazine!!!

Is anyone else annoyed that you can't see a preview of the quilts inside a magazine?? I can't be the only one...

oatw13 09-14-2010 03:31 PM

lol

I do find it annoying and I usually won't buy them because I don't know if I am really interested in them or not!

I try to get them out of the library to see if I am really interested.

craftybear 09-14-2010 03:31 PM

I get upset also, so I don't buy them

Cheriefaye2008 09-14-2010 03:32 PM

You are not the only one. I'm still a beginner at quilting and the magazines are kinda pricey for me to buy without knowing if the patterns are going to be too advanced for me. Even if I love the quilt on the cover, I usually won't buy it unless it says right there that it's an EASY quilt or great for beginners.

Sadiemae 09-14-2010 03:54 PM

There are more people out there! When I was in the grocery store today I thought I would take a peek at the magazines available. I didn't buy any, but someone had opened a Fons and Porter to see what was in it.

amandasgramma 09-14-2010 03:59 PM

Okay -- I confess, it irritates me so much, I've been known to open the plastic and look........ :oops: ;-) I don't tear it up....I do it so I can put it back. If they want to sell to me, I'm looking.... Haven't been thrown out of a store yet!

Chele 09-14-2010 04:12 PM

Yep, that's just wrong to wrap magazines in plastic. I think we all know that buying a magazine is a great value if you love one or two of the patterns featured. Of course we'll buy it. Obviously this plastic wrapping is biting them in the behind! Their loss.

amandasgramma, we'll send you out as a scout! Let us know which magazines to buy!

sewgull 09-14-2010 04:31 PM

I never buy a magazine in a plastic bag. I like to check the patterns. Also, another plastic bag to be deposed of along with all those inserts that fall over the place.

fabric_fancy 09-14-2010 04:41 PM

the shops around here open up one copy for customers to look at to see if they want to buy it.

check with customer service or the check out counter to see if they have the same policy or convince them to start one.

Lori S 09-14-2010 04:58 PM

I will not buy a magazine that is wrapped in plastic. Sorry Fon and Porter but ... if you had something I wanted I think you would want to show me. I just assume that they are trying to trick me into buying something that has little real value, why else would you hide what it is you are trying to sell.