Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Worst quilting item purchased (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worst-quilting-item-purchased-t266664.html)

toverly 06-22-2015 06:52 PM

What fun reading everyone's mistakes! I have too many to name but one I particularly hate is the Fiskars Grey rotating mat. The finish chips when you cut and leaves tiny bits all over the mat. Then of course, doesn't cut straight because of all the divots in the mat. Worse part, I gave new ones to two quilting friends for Christmas before I used mine. So they had the same problem.

annette1952 06-22-2015 07:19 PM

Blade sharpeners ..... hands down. What a waste! I thought at first that maybe it didn't work because it was the cheaper version but the more expensive was the same. I do love gadgets so that was to be expected. Not all gadgets are good for sure. Another thing was the supreme slider. Some love them but I'm not one of them. I prefer to just polish the bed of my machine now & then. Works good for me!

Oksewnsew 06-22-2015 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by sval (Post 7233405)
I bought the electric blade sharpener for way more than that. And it doesn't work very well either. Nothing beats a new blade.
And it's sooo loud. You need earplugs to run it.

AMEN! My son gave me some earplugs I wear, and I agree "nothing beats a new blade"! Thank goodness I won the sharpener.

quiltingshorttimer 06-22-2015 08:57 PM

Books that I end up only using one pattern (I now spend my book $$ only on books on design); a suction on handle thing that was suppose to be used on your rulers--totally worthless!; some patterns, usually bought at from a presenter at a guild program, that I never really wanted but figured the speaker should be supported (yeah, that is me);way too many magazine subscriptions!

ocydroma 06-22-2015 09:58 PM

Thanks for the info. All of my scissors are Ginghers. Very nice to have this info

jhoward 06-23-2015 04:01 AM

My worse purchase was John Flynn's frame. My quilting friend and bought it together...acquired PVC tubing at a local hardware store to use with it....didn't help.

mike'sgirl 06-23-2015 05:49 AM

I bought the Halo to help in fmq. Didn't help, just got in the way. Supreme slider, another fail. I also bought the little blue blade sharpener, waste of money. I'm just glad that I haven't spent the money that I might have, but I have spent plenty.

misseva 06-23-2015 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by mlt150 (Post 7234627)
I love my slide locks! What do you dislike about them?

I love mine too. I also use them to stabilize my June Taylor strip cutters - keeps the slots from wobbling.

misseva 06-23-2015 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by RST (Post 7234807)
I fell for this stupid "tacking" gun and little plastic things that was supposed to be a great and easy way to baste a quilt (which happens to be my most dreaded and avoided step). that thing is a total misery and I've never successfully used it. But it was fairly cheap, so no big deal.

Oh, I forgot - I bought one of those too, even bought the grid thing to use behind it. Bwahahahah

misseva 06-23-2015 11:50 AM

I've bought a lot of quilting books over the years but I won't say there were a complete waste of money because I enjoyed reading them at the time. I recently went through all my books and took bags and bags of craft books to our local library. And I took several bags of books to a English Paper Piecing class I teach and told all the students they couldn't leave without taking some books/magazines. Nothing was left. Good feeling to see others enjoy what you no longer need. And my bookshelves look amazing.