Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you mend my ****** (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-mend-my-%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A-t60240.html)

angieh1964 08-23-2010 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom
My daughters always asks me to mend their stuff and the grands-i reallt don't mind. what i do mind id when my MIL and SIL ASSUME that i can do things like "can you cut down this purse-it's too big! or can you cut off this coat-it's too long. and the one that really torked me was when my SIL was geting married for the 3rd time and bought a beaded long dress at a local resale shop and didn't bother calling me to look at it or ask about it before she bought it. it was too big(2 sizes) and had me alter it. it took me 23hrs to remove beads, take it in, replace beads and have it ready for the wedding. not that i did it for money or anything, but i got a verbal thank you and one of the small table centerpieces from the reception. i didn't even get a flippin'picture from the wedding! just sorta bothers me-can you tell? :)

i got the extra bouquet given back from one of the weddings and one flower basket that was a game gift i mean come on its not really a gift if i made it!

frannella 08-23-2010 07:52 AM

"Surrounded By Monkeys"--priceless! Sure is a beauty. thanks...

charcrfts 08-23-2010 08:30 AM

I just tell them that I sew new items & do quilting, but I HATE mending! If it has a hole in the knee or elbow -- it gets shortened rather than patched; bad zipper -- it's a goner. Although I will repair a ripped seam or hem, but not for anyone outside my house! :)

DeniseP 08-23-2010 08:40 AM

I have also had the experience of hemming my niece's gown for a wedding she was in, deciding on a price and not getting paid for it. That gown had fourteen feet of chiffon all the way around the bottom. NEVER again!!!

sewmom 08-23-2010 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
I have also had the experience of hemming my niece's gown for a wedding she was in, deciding on a price and not getting paid for it. That gown had fourteen feet of chiffon all the way around the bottom. NEVER again!!!

And chiffon is the worst stuff to work on, too! i worked in a bridal shop for 1 1/2 yrs and i hated that stuff! it hurts to get shafted by relatives doesn't it? i need to use NO more.

rainbowquilt 08-23-2010 11:27 AM

unfortunately, i DO know how to sew soooooo i get to do all of it :) and i actually dont mind at all.

betlinsmom 08-23-2010 06:23 PM

Most of the time folks just dont have a clue; others are just leaning on you...I sew, quilt, make toys costumes and all my own clothes and yes, I mend for most everybody...I need to learn to keep my mouth shut,huh?!!!!!!!!!!!

sewmuch 08-23-2010 06:50 PM

I hem pants for a niece and my best friend, we are all short and I have hemmed so many for myself, its not hard and I really don't mind.... : :lol:

Marmie 08-24-2010 11:13 AM

Constantly.Mend this, hem that, alter this.Which I don't mind doing when I have the time. I find most people want it done yesterday, and with alterations I have to buy thread to match or buttons or elastic, sometimes fabric. Or someone sees something I've made and it's Oh! I want one too but could you change it to ......I can't use the excuse I don't sew. I made my own clothes since I was a young teenager,then my kids and grand kids, untill they got to old for it to be cool.I offer to teach them, but I'm sure you know how that goes.

Marmie 08-24-2010 11:18 AM

It's hard to say no, especially to family. But when your asked by the ones you never see untill they need it, it gets a little annoying.And they think your a miricle worker. I was just given a dress for a flower girl to alter. It's probably a size 7 or 8. She's not quite 3. They would like it fixed so it can be continually let out as she grows.