Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you mend my ****** (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-mend-my-%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A-t60240.html)

Karyn 08-21-2010 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Everyone brings their mending to me...and buttons...I have lost count of the number of total replacement "button jobs" I have done (you know, where they lose one button and the whole lot need replacing, 'cause there's not a matching one to be found). Thank goodness I have an enormous button stash..."The Button Collection" originally belonged to my G.Grandmother, then she passed it to my G.Mother, then she to Mum and as my mother is a minimalist and hates clutter,I am now the "keeper of the buttons".

You know, Its a sad situation when someone can't even sew on a button.!!

Karyn 08-21-2010 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Leota

Originally Posted by kacie

Originally Posted by Chele
Love that Suzan! I have to hem my daughter's school uniform skirt and I'm sweating just thinking about it! I'd rather do paper piecing and Y seams. Blindfolded! Okay you chickens, send me hemming vibes. I need you!

You could pretend you're hand-stitching a binding!

That is exactly the way you hem a skirt. no difference... the basic blind hem stitch

Heres one rememdy for that, most machines have a blind hem stitch, whip it out in notime!

starlight 08-21-2010 05:03 AM

I hate to mend so even family knows not to ask. I will hem and do some alterations but even fixing a seam--Ugh!

Happy Tails 08-21-2010 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I just tell them , sorry no I don't sew :wink: LOL

LOL that's what I tell them too, only I really don't sew,never ever did. Took up quilting and had to get my daughter to show me how to thread a machine <shrug>

lillybeck 08-21-2010 05:12 AM

LOL

JJs 08-21-2010 05:15 AM

I've always said it's a whole lot more fun to sew when you don't have to.
I sewed for my kids - "back in those days"..... there weren't garage sales on every corner and no wallyworld with their throw away kids clothes....
Then I sewed for the grandkids...
now I sew for my own enjoyment...

cbuchanan 08-21-2010 05:16 AM

I have to have alterations on most of my clothes but would never dream of doing it myself. I pay more for alterations than some of the clothes. My theory is ... I'm old enough to do what I please...and alterations isn't one of them. I will sew a button on and repair a split in a seam, period!!! I love what Sadiemae said...there's quilting and then there's sewing. I'm a quilter.

lillybeck 08-21-2010 05:28 AM

I raised 8 children so yes I did a lot of sewing and mending. I still do a lot of mending for the kids and grandkids. I recently repaired a quilt for a granddaughter that I had given her for christmas in 1999/ Took way to long but worth it fir her. I no longer sew for other people. They do not value my time.

quiltmom04 08-21-2010 06:20 AM

My family knows that if they put something in my sewing room to be repaired, there's a good chance they may never see it again. Hehe!

marymild 08-21-2010 06:26 AM

Thanks for all the great replies. You made me laugh A LOT!

Until I retired, I never sewed a stitch. I asked my mother to do all my repairs, so now I guess I feel guilty when the next generation asks the same thing of me.

I think my mom was happy to do it. Or at least I always thought so. But now I'm not so sure.

I love the Picasso line. I'll keep that in mind.