Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you mend my ****** (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-mend-my-%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A-t60240.html)

quilt3311 08-21-2010 03:37 AM

Always!!! However a friend loves me, she runs a home mending service. I just give them her card. She is threatening to take her cards away from me because she can't keep up.

fabricfairy 08-21-2010 03:53 AM

My answer to this , "You would not ask Picaso to paint the back fence , dont ask me to mend, I am an artist......"

granny216 08-21-2010 03:54 AM

It happens all the time but when I got my first do everything machine I told them that it doesn't work for regular patching or mending as it is set up for quilting. I haven't been challenged yet but people knew I use to do all the stuff for our kids when they were little. I will cover up a small stain for the grandkids with a design from the embroidery cards as I enjoy that. They do sometimes ask what I did with my other machines and I sort of shrug my shoulders. Out of sight out of mind. They also ask me to mend quilts and I don't do that either any more. Some of them are so bad it would take me too long and away from what I really want to do. There is an exception her for my kids and grand kids as they bring me their quilts right away if a seam or anything needs a few stitches...that I can handle.

mimiknoxtaylor 08-21-2010 04:00 AM

I say this too. I just don't like to mend, etc. I don't sew for myself even - just grandkids & not that much. I have helped out a couple young guys that have been friends of our younger son but made such they understood it was a one time deal!

Originally Posted by virtualbernie

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I don't sew! I quilt and there is a big difference!

I sew and quilt but I always cut them off saying, "I don't do alterations." Always hated it and always will! I especially look for petite clothes just so I don't have to mend or hem!

mar32428 08-21-2010 04:03 AM

I refuse to do alterations or replace broken jean zippers. I ask them what do they think retired means.

Elly 08-21-2010 04:14 AM

I do most alterations. It's my business. This gives me $$$
for Fabric!!
Hemming is my favorite. 15 minutes ~ done

This six foot tall girl LOVES shorter people.

Its all perception, I guess!

Karyn 08-21-2010 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie

Originally Posted by mamahippychicky
I was asked to make some leotards. I hate sewing stretchy material so said my machine couldn't handle it!

Hehehe, good answer! :thumbup:

Why can't we just say NO? lol

ladydi64 08-21-2010 04:42 AM

Just tell them you charge and watch them disappear.

grann of 6 08-21-2010 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by marymild
Have you noticed when you tell people you quilt, they want to know if you will do their mending for them?

Well, I have been sewing for people longer than I have been quilting. So I get the reverse reactions. I showed someone last week my Quilts for Kids and they were surprised that I could do that. Now my kids and grandkids tell people I can do everything. People don't always understand my charges, till I explain how long it takes to deconstruct something to make the repair. I'm very selective in the repairs I do for people.

Honey 08-21-2010 04:52 AM

i absolutely detest mending and hemming. I think it is because I did so much of it when my kids were little. I used to make a lot of clothes but now, I quilt and that's it!