Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-pay-%245-quilt-raffle-ticket-t158123.html)

Suzanne in VT 10-05-2011 06:34 AM

I forgot to ask you how you go about selling the tickets. Do you set up a booth/table somewhere, sell them online, etc?

Anyone else can chime in here too. The more I can promote this quilt the better.

NJ Quilter 10-05-2011 06:47 AM

DH just paid $5/3 tix (or they were $2 ea) at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta for a beautiful quilt designed by Elisha Jackson and made by the Members of the NM Quilters Association. Not a queen size but certainly larger that a large lap. Beautifully designed and made, I must say. In fact, DH asked me the other night what I thought it was worth. Told him probably about $1500 or more. But he also realizes most people would not pay that for a quilt. And FWIW, they had a list of LQS in the area that they were handing out. I've made it to one so far and since we're weathered out today, planning on hitting another 5 since they are all so close in proximity. Yippee!

jmabby 10-05-2011 07:02 AM

If I liked the quilt and think I would never make it YES

BellaBoo 10-05-2011 07:07 AM

I made a motion to my guild to sell our quilt raffle tickets for $5 each or 3 for $10. The quilt is appliqued and hand quilted king size. The elderly members voted it down after being revived! They didn't seem to understand that selling more $1 tickets would mean using more gas and time and fees to set up and sell tickets at various places during the year. Of course they never 'feel up to it' when the time comes to volunteer to sit and sell tickets.

Glassquilt 10-05-2011 07:27 AM

I'd consider the $1 or $2 tickets but not the $5.
You could emphasize that 5 Tickets at $1 is 5 Chances to Win as opposed to one chance at $5.

quilter1430 10-05-2011 07:28 AM

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a raffle ticket. I think you'd be better off asking $3.00 each or 2 for $5.00.

lindy 10-05-2011 07:31 AM

A lot of people will see a 'more bang for your buck' than the item. Will you make more money at $5 a ticket or $1/$5 for 6 tickets? Whatever you decide, it might be a good idea to have a donation jar there, too. Make sure you get proper permits, if any are needed.

Sadiemae 10-05-2011 07:47 AM

I would never pay this much, but it is simply due to the face that I can't afford it on amy fixed income.

starshine 10-05-2011 07:49 AM

I don't recall ever seeing raffle tickets for a quilt at more than $1 or 6/$5. And at that price I see lots of people buying the 6 for $5. You may get people buying them at $5 each but lots who would have only bought one at $1 will pass it up. I think if someone would pay $5 for one they would also pay $5 for six.
Also, you may want to check on the tax deduction ability. It has been my understanding if there is a good or service in connection with a donation it is not tax deductible, but I don't know how raffles are considered in regards to eligibility.

Sunnie 10-05-2011 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kathios
Yes I would, especially if I really loved the quilt. Good luck!

Ditto