Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-t145986.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 08-18-2011 04:57 AM

Great advice by all- good for you!! Let us know how it works out :)

Barbshobbies 08-18-2011 05:02 AM

Also, you must see the sales slip !! This person saw your work, thinks it`s good, and I`m sure he wants to make something for selling them. He must have clients who can afford them. If every thing is out in front, you both should be happy. Asked every thing you want to know. Good luck, this could be a new career for you.

alikat110 08-18-2011 05:16 AM

Sounds like a gret opportunity

luv-e 08-18-2011 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
Also, you must see the sales slip !! This person saw your work, thinks it`s good, and I`m sure he wants to make something for selling them. He must have clients who can afford them. If every thing is out in front, you both should be happy. Asked every thing you want to know. Good luck, this could be a new career for you.

Totally agree with this........ :thumbup:
Christmas coming up,WOW you could make a bundle!!!!

Moedeenie 08-18-2011 05:26 AM

What a wonderful compliment to your talent! Best of Luck if you choose to expand on this opportunity!

SuzyQ 08-18-2011 05:29 AM

awesome compliment on your work. I hope it all works out for you.

Susan

May in Jersey 08-18-2011 05:30 AM

This may be a great opportunity for you to earn some money while doing something you love to do.

Something I think you should think about is how much pressure it will put on you to make X amount of quilts in a certain period of time. Also increased use of your sewing machine may mean the need for repairs. Do you have a back up machine?

I recently finished a queen size quilt for a family member who paid for the pattern and fabrics. It cost me more than I expected as I needed a special ruler, I used more thread pieceing than I expected and also I had to buy special colored threads for the quilting, things I should have thought and added to the price she would pay for me to make the quilt. Since she was a close family member I was donating my time. Largest problem was the constant pressure I felt to sew perfectly, work faster and complete the quilt quickly. Vowed never to do a commission quilt again, it took all the fun out of quilting.

Carol J. 08-18-2011 05:32 AM

Write down a list of questions you have about this arrangement and have a good talk with the man. Tell him how long it takes to make a quilt, what size does he expect, what does he plan to sell them for and what do you get out of this project. Make one and see what he does with it and get everything in writing, his share your share and find out the going rate for quilts. And like Barbshobbies said, expect to see the sales slips. This will be a business proposition so look for the legal aspects too. You would be setting up a home based business.

Carol J.

dunster 08-18-2011 05:34 AM

I truly hope that this works out for you. But I wonder whether the man who was wow'ed (as we all were) by your quilt realizes that handmade quilts don't usually sell that well, at least not at prices that reflect the fabrics and labor involved in making them. You need to make sure that he does his homework and understands the market before going too far.

fabric whisperer 08-18-2011 05:37 AM

I know he would have the contacts and be doing the selling, but isn't that money split a little lopsided? I would think after expenses, you should get more than 50% because you are the one creating ~ just my opinion... like the singing star who gives 15% to their manager, the singer is the talent.