Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-t145986.html)

lynnsim 08-18-2011 05:38 AM

I wish you luck with this new opportunity. Let us know what happens.

dolores 08-18-2011 05:40 AM

That you all for the useful information. I have not talked to him about it yet,just thinking about all the options, Like I said he would buy all the material and stuff. I would work at my own pace I would make them, he would help find a place to sell them. Keeping all the ideas coming making a list and praying about this too.

emerald46 08-18-2011 06:00 AM

That quilt is so magnificient and creative...I am not the least surprised of the opportunity. Take it slow and be sure everything is upfront. Best wishes.

Glassquilt 08-18-2011 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by dolores
Like I said he would buy all the material and stuff.

As in he actually does the shopping or he waxed poetic while talking & you do the shopping.

eparys 08-18-2011 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Moedeenie
What a wonderful compliment to your talent! Best of Luck if you choose to expand on this opportunity!

I agree with Moedeenie - Also I would do it slowly at first, just to see how it will go. Making things for $$ is a lot different than doing it for a loves one. Best of luck with it!!

dltaylor 08-18-2011 06:26 AM

Hey, you get to do what you love and supplement your income too. If he is paying for everything, what do you have to loose. BUT...I would take pictures of every quilt I gave him to sell and I would draw up some type of contract and get the signatures notarized...just as a precaution.

meemersmom 08-18-2011 06:31 AM

What a wonderful testament to your skills. One word of caution, though...are you sure you want to make a hobby into a "have-to"? That's been known to take a lot of the fun out of what you do. Other than that, this does sound like it might be a opportunity worth exploring. Please keep us posted.

calla 08-18-2011 06:32 AM

Well once I started making money with my hobby, it wasn't fun for me anymore. It became a job with deadlines, demands, and comments, "oh, I ment the other red thread"............calla

Granny Quilter 08-18-2011 06:33 AM

In a heartbeat! I wish I had someone to help me that way!
You pick the projects and don't let it become a JOB, it doesn't have to.

Scissor Queen 08-18-2011 06:46 AM

Quilts barely make money for the maker. And you're going to let somebody else have half the profits for not much work? Plus once you figure out how much you actually have to charge to make a decent hourly wage for yourself with him taking half puts those quilts at a pretty high price. In spite of the fact that we all love and value quilts most people look at the price and only the price. Can you compete with Walmart or even Babies R Us? They generally sell quilts for less than your cost for the fabric.