Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is this wrong of me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wrong-me-t128829.html)

LindaaJR 06-08-2011 04:55 AM

I agree with Scissor Queen. Your daughter will go on to another school and this will be behind you. As the book says "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, it's all small stuff" and in the scheme of life this is one of those small "stuffs". Take care.
Linda

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen

what should I do???

Learn to adjust. Drop the perfectionism for this project and just do it. As crazy as it sounds, the seam allowances can be off on the inside and nobody will know and it won't make any difference either. If the seams don't line up perfectly on the outside what's the worst that can happen? I'll bet the building doesn't fall down and the sun comes up tomorrow.

lillybeck 06-08-2011 05:02 AM

Ditto to this. The teacher will not expect perfection and being for mostly children will probably expect something that is not perfect.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

what should I do???

Learn to adjust. Drop the perfectionism for this project and just do it. As crazy as it sounds, the seam allowances can be off on the inside and nobody will know and it won't make any difference either. If the seams don't line up perfectly on the outside what's the worst that can happen? I'll bet the building doesn't fall down and the sun comes up tomorrow.

jgriinke 06-08-2011 05:30 AM

Go with the flow. Take a deep breath and just do it. Like many others here have said, no one will know if the seems are 1/4" or not.
It is a labor of love and doensn't have to be perfect.
The kids and all involved will love it. I'm sure they appreaciate all that you are doing for this project.

Marvel 06-08-2011 06:19 AM

The best thing that I can suggest that you get together and help finish the blocks. She should see how important the seam allowance is. I have one other thought I was asked to put together some blocks that definitely were not the same sized. I was watching Simply Quilts that morning. Alex said we can all face that problem when different quilters combine blocks. She showed what she had done to solve this. She took small and I am saying about1 inch strips of something bright and carefully sewed it to the smaller ones. When she showed the finished top it was so pretty and just added to the design. I hope you get a lot of good ideas to help you.

Lynneander 06-08-2011 06:36 AM

I understand that you would like to present a perfect quilt, but in this case it seems that the real "perfection" is the message done by the children. I'm sure the real beauty will be conveyed and your thoughtfulness in doing such a memorable project will be so greatly appreciated.

nativetexan 06-08-2011 06:46 AM

don't sweat it. it's to be a "fun" quilt. let it go and finish it and smile,big!!

star619 06-08-2011 07:05 AM

Yep, it's the intention, not the outcome that is important. The imperfections just make it all the more authentic.
I taught for 24 years (K&1st Grade). We made quilts all the time. Perfection had to go out the window. If you altered a child's block, or a participating adult's work, you are telling them it wasn't good enough. That is not incentive to keep on trying.
What you are doing is validating all the creative spirit of those who participated - an honorable, if exhausting, labor of love. It's good to know that what you send out into the world comes back to you threefold! Don't stress. Breathe. Enjoy!

QuiltNama 06-08-2011 07:09 AM

I have assembled many group quilts and everyone has their own idea of size (no matter what is specified). The very first one I did was a Christmas quilt made with 4 patches and each quilter made 6 blocks of a certain size. Well...so much for each one being the same.LOL But I trimmed and assembled and everone loved the quilt. It was far from perfect but made with LOVE and that's what counts.
Brenda

Becka 06-08-2011 07:09 AM

Thank you all for giving me that little smack upside the head that I needed. I'm just going to go with the flow and fix what I can where I can to make it look it's best, with out being a perfectionist....

It's hard isn't it? But in the end, it is a quilt "made by" children, so I think those imperfections will make it that much more charming. It's a great idea and it will be hailed as wonderful no matter the quirks.

:thumbup:

rona thickpenny 06-08-2011 07:15 AM

I agree with sissor queen . The teacher will see a quilt made with love not a few wonky seams,it really dosnt matter.