Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this wrong of me? >

Is this wrong of me?

Is this wrong of me?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Some of you know that I am participating in the creation of a signature quilt that my daughter's 6th grade class is giving to the school as a gift. It's me and one other mom doing the majority of the sewing and everything else. All the students did their own blocks along with 7 teacher (79 students) and one larger block in the middle being done by the art teacher.

Well...we used muslin for each block and the other mom is the one who cut the blocks before the students did their thing with them. Looking at the blocks, I can tell she cut them with scissors and they are very close in size but not all exactly the same, right down to the smallest centimeter. I took about 2/3rds of the blocks to sew them and I'm not happy with them. The art teacher had the kids draw within a box so there is a half inch border drawn in pencil on each block. I'm trying to get these blocks to line up straight as best as I can and I know there will be some trimming involved.

I'll post picks of the first row I have sewn together.

I'm starting to wonder now if I should have taken all the blocks to sew them, so they will all be uniform. This other woman sews but has never done a quilt so doesn't really know about the blocks being the same exact size and seams and lining things up, and I just feel like because I'm such a perfectionist that whatever she does isn't going to look like mine....I don't know what to do...she's the kind of woman who is "above" everyone else and I don't feel right calling her or emailing her telling her I don't think she'll do it right or that I would rather do it all. We have TWO weeks left to get this all done...and I would have had it done a long time ago if it wern't for waiting for the art teacher to get the kids to do the blocks and all that.......what should I do???
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208331.jpe   attachment-208332.jpe  
Old 06-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Don't have an answer - but I can totally relate to how you are feeling!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:22 PM

I wanted to post this too...this is the general layout we are using for the quilt...

We are getting other fabric to finish off the ends of the shorter rows...waiting for the fabric as we speak...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208339[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-208333.jpe  
Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen

what should I do???
Learn to adjust. Drop the perfectionism for this project and just do it. As crazy as it sounds, the seam allowances can be off on the inside and nobody will know and it won't make any difference either. If the seams don't line up perfectly on the outside what's the worst that can happen? I'll bet the building doesn't fall down and the sun comes up tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:33 PM

I agree with scissor queen. It doesnt have to be perfect. Its the thought that is behind it all that counts.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:40 PM

This quilt will be beautiful. You chose the perfect layout. The brick pattern is great because you don't have to line up any seams. The children will be thrilled to see their blocks in the quilt!!!! I make a quilt with my class every year and it is a great experience for the students. It will turn out fine. If you do another in the future.....you will cut the blocks yourself!!! Enjoy the project. Don't get caught up in the details that no one else will even notice.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:49 PM

We made a group quilt at work with everyone decorating a heart to sew on a block for a fellow employee who was getting cancer treatment. One of my fellow employees helped me sew the hearts down and join some rows. She sewed but I was aghast at what 1/4" can mean to different people! lol! There WAS a little unpicking involved in matching hers and mine. I absolutely agree with the Scissor Queen--remember it isn't for a quilt show, it is a gift from the kids. Honor the love they put it it, fudge as much as possible, do whatever to make it work. What other people will see is the love from the kids. I think the pattern you have it in looks adorable and the kids will be so proud. And nobody but another quilter will ever know how you bit your tongue as you "made" those little suckers fit together. Bless you for taking it on and making them so happy. And bless her, too, she probably had no idea how much work she was getting into (cutting blocks with scissors! OMG! makes my hands hurt to think of it!)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Since this is essentially from the children do you think the teacher expects perfection? I think she will love the quilt without matching seams etc. The love of her students is what you are trying to convey, not your quilting skills.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:53 PM

I totally agree with scissor queen.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

I can see that the shorter rows are going to be lengthened with the extra fabric. Save her rows for the shorter rows. Your better rows can be the long ones and if you need to adjust her rows, you can vary the fill in fabric lengths. It's going to look great and the kids will love it.