Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this wrong of me? >

Is this wrong of me?

Is this wrong of me?

Old 06-08-2011, 05:02 PM

This will be a great quilt. It has great character already.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:29 PM

Can't help you but good luck
Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen

what should I do???
Learn to adjust. Drop the perfectionism for this project and just do it. As crazy as it sounds, the seam allowances can be off on the inside and nobody will know and it won't make any difference either. If the seams don't line up perfectly on the outside what's the worst that can happen? I'll bet the building doesn't fall down and the sun comes up tomorrow.
I'm glad I read this before posting because it's exactly what I was going to post. Remember...it's the thought and effort and if the other woman is as you describe her, once she sees her work mingled with yours she will see the difference.
It's the thought that counts and what the children and teachers contributed that will be cherished.
After volunteering in an elementary school I learned very early that perfection wasn't the important factor in a lot of the posters I was asked to make with an overhead projector...
Do your best with you blocks and it's going to be beautiful.
Be sure to post a picture of the finished project...and unless the blocks are totally crooked and of very different sizes, the galloping horse effect will kick in.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 PM

This is darling!! I'm so glad you are doing this!!

I haven't read all the post so this may already be covered!

I wanted to say that one of the reasons we are quilters is that we are perfectionist!! Ain't it hard!:) :)

My DM Hand quilts & does hand embroidery. She does not piece!!! For years she bought panels (very large ones) & hand quilted 'em. Recently she buys white preprinted embroidery squares. Next she does all the hand work on 'em & she sews 'em together. Then sandwiches & quilts. They don't line up!! She doesn't even try. They are beautiful!! No one even notices, the seems are all white, & we're all focusing on the lovely embroidery!

Because this is all muslin, the kids did the signatures, & the pattern is brick I don't think anyone will notice if this doesn't line up. Keep up all the hard work!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 PM

The layout means you don't have to worry about matching seams, so that takes that issue off the table. I am a perfectionist as well, but try to remember anyone looking at the quilt will be marveling over the kids' artwork...not the quilting.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Good for you! Sounds like it will be memorable and sweet, which is much more important than perfection.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen

what should I do???
Learn to adjust. Drop the perfectionism for this project and just do it. As crazy as it sounds, the seam allowances can be off on the inside and nobody will know and it won't make any difference either. If the seams don't line up perfectly on the outside what's the worst that can happen? I'll bet the building doesn't fall down and the sun comes up tomorrow.
I agree. Believe me the teacher will love it even if it is not "perfect". Every block is different like every child is different. Put them together and they make a "school". It will look lovely no matter what happens.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 PM

I looks to me like this project is a perfect one for blocks that are not perfect! There doesn't appear to be anyplace where the seam need to match up. If one row is a centimeter taller than another, who is going to notice except someone with a ruler, and then they deserve to find the "error" The fabric on the ends will even out the width of the rows.

The important thing is the love and effort that the children put into this. You are just the facilitator to gather that love together!