Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   yellow brick road (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yellow-brick-road-t144619.html)

Connie Rae 08-13-2011 05:47 AM

What is a good number of different fabrics and colors to use in a full size for YBR???

Connie Rae 08-13-2011 05:48 AM

What is a good number of different fabrics and colors to use in a full size for YBR???

KyKaren1949 08-13-2011 06:01 AM

I've made two of these and had problems figuring out the instructions too. I seemed to have more of one size piece than another or then I'd not have the piece I was supposed to have. So, I eventually decided, "Oh well, what the heck!" and put it together to just make the size block it was supposed to have. Honestly, I can't tell any difference. I thought it turned out beautifully. I used all blues, aqua, greens and purples with at least half of the colors having a metallic gold in them. It's gorgeous!

CaliPatti 08-13-2011 06:05 AM

Do you have a picture of it by any chance, would love to see it.

createfourpaws 08-13-2011 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love this pattern, find it easy once you circle the correct number needed for size you are making.

I use this pattern for all my baby quilts I make. Dont try to over analyze it. Have fun

One I have made
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241007[/ATTACH]

Quilting Angel 08-13-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by sue38
Thanks to all who replied to my problems with the yellow brick road. I guess as long as the squares measure 91/2x91/2 I can't go wrong. I try to hard to be perfect in my quilt making and it drives me crazy. Besides, it takes a lot of the joy away from quilting.

Yeah Sue, I use to do the same thing, and I still do to a point, but then I realized we are not perfect and we are going to make mistakes. The good thing about it is most people will NEVER see a mistake. Just have fun.....that's what it's all about, and they will still be beautiful.

BobbiG 08-13-2011 07:56 AM

If you have the earliest version of the quilt, the directions don't make sense. After struggling while in a class, the instructor showed me hers. It had a newer copyright date and was really simple. For the $7+ it was worth it.

bigsister63 08-13-2011 09:43 AM

We are always our own worst critics. Most quilts will be beautiful in several different layouts. So pick one and sew it together and be done with it. It is so easy to overthink many quilt layouts. I use a door peephole to look view quilt and it really shows up any missplaced blocks. Quilting is to be FUN! not torture! Chill out!!!!!!!!!!!!

quilttiludrop 08-13-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Connie Rae

I really think 3 or 4 colors and 3 or 4 individual prints in each color works well! I made one recently for my sister. See my "My sister's birthday quilt" post.

quiltingnana59 08-13-2011 12:25 PM

This is my favorite "go to" pattern. I don't find it difficult if I circle the number of cuts I need for the size of quilt I am making. This pattern was my very first quilt. I like to make it scrappy with all different colors of fat quarters. I'm making a "fishing" throw now and will post a pic when finished.
Have fun with it. This is a very forgiving pattern.