Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You Know You Are a Quilter When. . . . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-know-you-quilter-when-t1098.html)

Db112527 06-26-2007 08:29 PM

:?: What Pray tell is a PIG????? I'm NEW HERE!!

patricej 06-26-2007 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Db112527
:?: What Pray tell is a PIG????? I'm NEW HERE!!

PIG = Project in Grocery sack

you've bought the fabric, thread, notions ... maybe the pattern ... and it's all in the bag waiting for it's turn to become a UFO (Unf*n*shed Object).

quiltmaker101 06-28-2007 10:11 AM

Working 8 to 5 is absolute TORTURE!!! I get to where I don't know if it is more frustrating or depressing to be sitting here oozing with energy to make a new quilt, having it all worked out in my head, and knowing I can't do anything about it until I get home.

IF I can get to it at home. There are always house chores, and of course the treadmill that is getting dusty from lack of use.

AGGHHHHH!!!

I just want to be rich enough to stay home and do what I want all day long. That's not too selfish, is it? LOL :x

Marybeth 06-28-2007 11:20 AM

No, I don' think it is selfish at all.

When the creative juices are moving it is hard to ignore. However for most of us: I owe, I owe, so it's off to work I go. :cry:

Marybeth

vicki reno 06-28-2007 11:30 AM

Me too :cry:

mpeters1200 06-28-2007 01:15 PM

While I do not have gainful employment, I am in a similar bind. I have 3 small kids at home. I volunteer to be their mom at hand. Not stay at home as we often aren't home. I also say volunteer, because while it's a heck of a job, I don't get paid in money..butterfly kisses, occasional hugs and smiles, and hissing, fighting and other such negativity that I often have to intervene.

My children are young enough that I cannot have an iron down from it's safe position while they are awake. I have similar issues with the mat and cutter, and of course the machine. But I do try occasionally if I can keep them preoccuied.

I have calculated exactly how long it is before the youngest starts school (13 months and 2 weeks) and how long it is until college for said child starts (14 years give or take a month or two)...but I can't dwell on it. I know too well that soon they will be more embarrassed of me than I am of them at the moment. Soon, story time and tuck in time will be replaced with curfews and car keys. I just hope my sanity stays in at least minimum tact until I have the opportunity to quilt my days and nights away.

I do however, have a 6 year old with an incredible sense of color...I bet I can use this to my advantage (note evil grin)

patricej 06-28-2007 02:20 PM

you may not have paid employment, but yours is the most gainful there could possibly be. i dare anyone to think of one job more important than raising children and making a home.

mpeters1200 06-28-2007 04:09 PM

I appreciate that a lot Patrice. Some people (employed ones) think it's so easy to stay at home with 3 little ones. One of the little ones in question has special needs as well. I never thought I would be one of those moms who could stay at home. I needed work to be my escape from home and home to be my escape from work. Before too long, my older son's needs mandated that I stay home. I normally don't mind a bit. I can't think of anyone else that I could trust with him. While I'm still not the mom that my mother was, I think I'm better than I ever thought I could be.

Marybeth 06-28-2007 04:34 PM

I totally second Patrice's opinion that motherhood and homemaking is the most important and awesome job there is.

I am a almost empty nester, the youngest is almost 15. I do miss the story time and tuck in time and in general being the most important person in the world.

In the meantime grab the moments that you can. :-)

mpeters1200 06-28-2007 07:34 PM

We also have 5 kids that are old enough to be on their own. I know the time with the little ones is limited...I did get to snuggle with little 3 year old tonight. I don't get to do that very often. He's not normally a snugglebug. It was very cute.