Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are you like this too? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-like-too-t255161.html)

zozee 10-12-2014 04:38 PM

I have only taken one class and discovered I make more mistakes when surrounded by other socialites. I need quiet to concentrate. But I do appreciate the atmosphere of sewing with others. But 99% of the time I like my quiet, comfy sewing room with music and internet .

Terri D. 10-12-2014 04:57 PM

Completely understand. That's why in 13 years of quilting, I've taken a grand total of four classes.

I think it has something to do with not being in my own work space.

Gannyrosie 10-12-2014 05:25 PM

I've never joined a guild, I don't think i have an interest in them. I like doing my own thing, on my own time. I know I would probably learn from them, but for me. it's not me right now. Maybe when I'm bored, I'll think about it.

Silver Needle 10-12-2014 06:38 PM

I love sewing in a group. I don't worry about how much I get done. I go to enjoy myself. I have attended 2 three day retreats each year for the last 2 years and learned a lot from other quilters. This year I am also adding a 4 day retreat. I do struggle getting a lot done taking classes, but as long as I learn the process I'm content. Perhaps I enjoy sewing with others because I'm a stay at home farmwife and Longarm quilter so much of my time is spent alone. I also just joined a new once a month sewing group called the "Crazy Quilter's"!

Nammie to 7 10-12-2014 06:57 PM

I go to guild for the social part of it -- I love looking at the projects everyone is doing and will pick their brains (if they are willing). When I go to classes I generally get put by the person who has the same machine but not much experience with it so I can help them with "regular" stuff and the class can keep going with what needs to be learned in class. I don't have an issue with that -- it helps me understand my machine better too!

cathyvv 10-12-2014 07:02 PM

It definitely is the distraction! I rarely bring my sewing machine to guild meetings. One time I did and sewed a very countable 4 stitches before the meeting was over.

One of the ladies at the guild calls me a 'flitter' - meaning I flit from person to person until the meeting is over. She's right! That way I get to know everyone a little better.

Jingle 10-13-2014 03:43 AM

I like to sew at home. I don't like cooking in someone else's kitchen either. I work best by myself, hard to focus.
I am not a joiner and since I work full time and have pets to take care of it would be impossible for me.

Seaside gal 10-13-2014 04:31 AM

I sew alone. When I did go to a guild it was just to socialize. No use telling me how to do something. I have to sit down with paper instructions and follow one step at a time.

sparkys_mom 10-13-2014 04:44 AM

I haven't been to that many workshops but I'm coming to understand that I don't do all that well in them. First and foremost, there usually isn't enough space! The last one I attended I had a work space for cutting that was about 12x12 inches. And then there is the pressing as it seems everyone needs the iron at the same time.

I've done much better in classes that ran over a few weeks and had homework. That takes the pressure off. I get as much done as I can in the class but I know I can finish at home.

Honestly, for a one day workshop I'd most of the time just prefer to spend the money on a Craftsy class.

My guild meets once a month but that is usually to hear a speaker and we also do show and tell, but no sewing.

I do go to a Sit and Stitch group that meets twice a month. That's a totally different situation. I bring whatever I'm currently working on and do as much or as little as I feel like doing. A lot of the people don't bring machines but prefer to do handwork. It is quite social and I enjoy it very much. If there isn't adequate workspace, I socialize. There isn't any pressure. We also meet a couple of times a year for all day sewing sessions where we work on charity quilts and those are a lot of fun.

Stitchnripper 10-13-2014 05:10 AM

When I first started I took an ongoing beginners class. Wonderful instructor helped us and taught us. We all started with the same project and then we were free to do what we wanted. I dragged my things there every week for a couple of years. Became friends with the others and we welcomed new people. People came and went. Perfect. Then instructor retired and new one didn't run it the same. So I got used to being by myself which has worked out well for me. I get my social needs in other places. I have taken a class or two elsewhere and while I enjoyed it, I realize I don't like to drag my things someplace, unpack and get organized, sew a bit and repack. My mojo comes and goes so this seems to be working out for me.