Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are you like this too? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-like-too-t255161.html)

Hookem 10-13-2014 03:29 PM

I don't do the guild thing, not to say I live in the boondocks, but it's two miles to my mail box. I just started quilting this past January, but with the help of the kind folks on this forum and the helpful information on the internet, I've come along pretty well. A hearty thank you to all!

By the way, I'm a 68 year old man.

Rubesgirl 10-13-2014 07:11 PM

I am a member of a very small quilting group that meets once a month and sometimes we talk more than we sew and sometimes we actually get something accomplished. If I have to get some work done, I will not talk much. I find that I have to frog way too much if I do. I really prefer to sew at home where it's quiet and I can concentrate, and gab with the girls at our group meetings. That way I have something to bring for "show and tell" too.

DOTTYMO 10-13-2014 10:30 PM

One thing I have noticed is who or rather how the class workshop is run. In some classes I have been to everyone is concentrating so much silence reigns. But in others with no teacher chat is heard all the time with people visiting each other and looking at their projects.

If you are in a class where teaching is going on it is rude to chatter, I also feel it is rude to keep slowing class down by asking for individual information. Taking notes is your own thing no problem with this.

You have to decide why you are there and what you want out of the meeting without taking from others.

dlsnaples 10-13-2014 10:31 PM

I enjoy learning new techniques, but am picky about the instructors. Some are more interested in socializing than teaching. I really like one of the teachers in a newer quilt shop here in town, but greatly dislike the classes because they are HUGE. No space to work, line for cutting space and the irons. Plus the noise level is absurd.
i love this board and think of it as my guild. I have learned more here and enjoyed myself more than at any class
thank you to all the wise ones.

Sandygirl 10-14-2014 03:12 AM

I relish sewing in my sewing room. It is nice to be home. Ans I am a very social person. Just need the down time at home.
sandy

mpspeedy2 10-14-2014 03:35 AM

Hi, I am from Maryland also. I live in Carroll County just below the PA line. I belonged to a huge quild for years. I haven't been to their meetings in several years now. They have lots of good speakers etc. but the current crop of members are often rude and gab while the speaker etc. is doing their presentation. The older I have gotten the less I like going out at night. It is not worth my time to go where I am uncomfortable. I joined a small group, about 5 or so who meet every other Wednesday and do whatever they want. These days most of my sewing is Linus quilts and Princess Pillowcase dresses. When I go to the group I usually just take handwork. The newest project I have taken on is making shrouds for premature babies who didn't survive. There is an organization that collects wedding gowns and distributes them to those willing to make the little gowns. My step-daughter, who is a neo-natal Nurse put me on to the project. It is a worthy cause but when I finish this batch of gowns I am going to quit. Working with the slippery fabric gets on my last nerve.

paoberle 10-14-2014 05:01 AM

I get distracted and prefer to sew at home.

gjc2001 10-14-2014 06:31 AM

We have a small quilting group that meets every Monday morning from 9 to 12 at our local library in our small town. We don't always quilt: some knit, or crochet or get a new project cut and ready to sew. We originally began meeting from 10 to 12 but found it seemed like we would just get started and it was time to start picking up, so we changed our start time to 9. We seem to accomplish quite a lot and are able to help one another with pattern questions or fabric selection. It's a time to chat and at the same time get in some sewing.

Morag 10-14-2014 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 (Post 6928204)
Hi, I am from Maryland also. I live in Carroll County just below the PA line. I belonged to a huge quild for years. I haven't been to their meetings in several years now. They have lots of good speakers etc. but the current crop of members are often rude and gab while the speaker etc. is doing their presentation. The older I have gotten the less I like going out at night. It is not worth my time to go where I am uncomfortable. I joined a small group, about 5 or so who meet every other Wednesday and do whatever they want. These days most of my sewing is Linus quilts and Princess Pillowcase dresses. When I go to the group I usually just take handwork. The newest project I have taken on is making shrouds for premature babies who didn't survive. There is an organization that collects wedding gowns and distributes them to those willing to make the little gowns. My step-daughter, who is a neo-natal Nurse put me on to the project. It is a worthy cause but when I finish this batch of gowns I am going to quit. Working with the slippery fabric gets on my last nerve.

can you post the organization and their web site please.
Having had an infant son who died I would be very interested in becoming active in that group.

tlpa 10-14-2014 09:04 AM

Occasionally, ladies from my church will get together to sew things for a cause. I always enjoy being around the ladies and listen to them chatting, but find I tend to concentrate on what I'm doing. I'll chime in here and there but usually keep going on the task at hand.