Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you like this too? >

Are you like this too?

Are you like this too?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:42 AM

Default Are you like this too?

I'm a member of a wonderful guild 60 miles from home and enjoy it monthly very much. This year, I've visited two small quilting groups that are in my little town or 20 miles away. In both situations, I've come to realize that I don't really enjoy sewing away from home. Even at classes, I go, watch and take good notes but do the actual sewing at home. I'm not sure why this is. I think part of it may just be the distractions as I prefer peace and quiet while sewing. I LOVE the friendships, socializing and chit chat. Can any of you relate?

Last edited by LavenderBlue; 10-12-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:48 AM

Yes, I like to talk, and I can't work when I talk. We have a quilting group at our church and I go every week, but never get too much done. I took one quilting class and it was the same way there. I looked at everything everyone else was making and liked their fabrics better than mine, and so I just listened, talked, enjoyed myself, and went home and sewed. I never take classes anymore, but I love the tutorials on UTube. or however you spell it. ha ha
Old 10-12-2014, 08:51 AM

I am somewhat the same way, unless it is something I want to learn how to do, and then I can be very attentive and sew up a storm. I really do enjoy the visiting and getting pics of all the other projects.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:36 PM

I don't belong to a local guild, only our guild here. The few times I have taken classes at the LQS it seems most eveyone knows each other and is almost anti social to any new people. I never feel intimidated by this since I have dealt with all kinds of people in my professional life (retired college instructor). However, I can always sense at least a few new people are not comfortable. Also, a lot of time the class instructor is drawn in by the established students and others don't get questions answered and kind of just give up on doing anything in class. Hopefully, they have taken away enough instructions to try it at home.
I have heard people speak about guilds in the same way. Personally I get a lot more from the people on this board than any class I have ever gone to. So for me, sitting here looking at a totorial another board member has put together at my own speed is where I want to be. I'm sure there are great local guilds out there as well as great LQS classes: and if you find a fit you are lucky.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:54 PM

I like to take classes and find that I understand the pattern enough to continue at home....only problem that once I get home, I put it away and it become a UFO!!!

I usually take these UFO'S to a quilt retreat and work on them. I enjoy sewing with a group, they seem to energize me.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:17 PM

i actually have the opposite problem. when in a class i tend to put my head down and try to get as much done in class as i possibly can. still manage to get some visiting done but not like many of my classmates. i attend several group quilting meetings each month and always get more done there than at home. guess i need the motivation of the others progress to get me working. at home i will procrastinate unless i have a deadline. ha ha
Old 10-12-2014, 02:23 PM

I have belonged to a Quilting group for 7 or 8 years now, we meet the first Sat. of every month, from 9 to 4. I have found that I really need to concentrate when I cut the fabrics for a quilt, so I do my cutting at home in preparation for the class. Then when I get there I can sit and sew, and have a good time.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Whenever I go for a workshop I obsess over what to bring and much prefer to be in my little sewing corner with all my stuff but suffer through to learn a new technique.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

I'm the same way. I prefer to sew by myself on my own projects but I will sew in a class, mostly because I want to make sure I'm doing the process correctly. I just took a machine applique class and would have been in a world of hurt if I had not sewn along with the class (mostly due to the size of zig zag that needed to be accomplished and the direction of stitching without backtracking.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:30 PM

I prefer demonstrations rather than the actual sewing, etc. I can concentrate on the technique instead of listening/watching while I try to do it myself. First of all, hauling the machine and supplies, setting it all up and getting to work takes up so much of the time. Where, at home, all is ready to go. We have a sit and sew at our church occasionally and by the time I am ready to sew, I'm pooped. The last time I was there, I brought home a stack of pieces that had been cut out and did the sewing at home. (We make shirts for preemies.)

As far as feeling like an outsider, the more you go the more the others will learn to know you. You will be one of the gang in no time. Don't give up.