Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your dream machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-dream-machine-t222189.html)

Jo Cypher 05-25-2013 02:45 AM

Your dream machine

If money were no object, what would be your dream machine? What feature(s) would be the deciding factor?

Shelbie 05-25-2013 03:15 AM

I don't think that my dream machine has been made yet but I know exactly what I want. I'd like a fast powerful machine (like my Juki)with a wide harp (12 inches would be nice) with an excellent straight stitch. I'd like that straight stitch to be able to stitch from very small up to a large basting stitch (2 stitches per inch). I would want the machine to have a variety of quilting specialty stitches such as blanket stitch, serpentine, a great satin stitch etc.in addition to basic zig zag. I'd also want needle up and needle down, thread trimming, bush button stop and start in addition to a foot control and a knee control, built in walking foot, buttonholer, excellent free motion capabilities, wonderful lighting and a super easy to fill extra large bobbin. I'd also want a practical sturdy table/cabinet so that this machine would be flush with my sewing surface (no acrylic surround needed!). I'd also like to see this system affordable ($1500-$2000 range). I can only dream.

ontheriver 05-25-2013 03:44 AM

Mine would be a longarm - HUsquavarna Platinum 3000. But it is only a dream unless I win a lottery.

Yarn or Fabric 05-25-2013 03:54 AM

I'm right there with Shelbie - although I don't need many fancy stitches. I'd be happy if I could get my Juki with a slightly longer harp - and the ability to do a zigzag, blanket stitch and a few other basics... and under $2k as well. It will probably never happen. :'(

Joset 05-25-2013 04:00 AM

i would get the new janome. oh it looks so nice.

Mitch's mom 05-25-2013 04:14 AM

I second Shelbie. In fact, that would be a nice name for it! 'The Shelbie'

willowwind 05-25-2013 04:15 AM

I already have it, its my Bernina 830, does everything but cut out the pieces for me. I do wish, however, it was easier to learn to operate. I took 6 weeks of classes on it but don't use half the features on it. I said it'd be the last machine I ever bought. I also wish I had more room on its table & a bigger studio. Wish on . . . .

Boston1954 05-25-2013 04:26 AM

It's funny that you should ask. As far as sewing machines go, I love my Brother SQ9000. It is not the Mercedes of machines but compared to my old Singer it's terrific. However, I was thinking more in the way of my EQ5. They now have EQ7. I was thinking a few weeks ago of someday in the distant future when there would be an EQ58, where you could choose your blocks, fabrics and all the other, and then when you were ready, just hit a button and the quilt would shoot out of the back of the computer. That's the day I open my own shop.

Nammie to 7 05-25-2013 06:30 AM

I'm with Willow wind - I love my 830 - it has so many wonderful features that I can't even begin to list them!

EllieGirl 05-25-2013 06:43 AM

Shelbie, the machine you described is what I have...the Brother Dreamweaver XE. It's a combo embroidery/sewing/quilting. The throat area is 11.5. It has a laser that guides for straight stitching, all the different types of stitches you described, push button start, plus foot and knee control. It has needle up/down, thread cutter, push button raise/lower the needle. The walking foot is not built in but it is a special type of foot that can handle multiple thickness and different types of fabric such as leather, denim, upholstery. It gives messages to rethread the machine if it's not threaded correctly, rather than having to guess at what is wrong! It's more expensive that you stated but to me it's well worth the price. I've had this machine a month and have barely scratched the surface of what it can do.