Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are your quilts for you? Or are they gifts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-quilts-you-they-gifts-t53268.html)

VernaL 07-09-2010 12:00 AM

I sort of feel guilty. I love picking out the pattern and the fabric and enjoy putting it all together. When I have spent so much time on quilts, I just want to keep them. All of our kids and grandkids have quilts that I've made FOR THEM. I've also given some to friends and I do make charity quilts and a quilt of valor. If I make a quilt for someone, I plan ahead that it is going to them. Then, I can give them away. But I love to look at my quilts. I see my quilting as a hobby mostly. I am finally making one for our King sized bed.
Verna

katei 07-09-2010 12:46 AM

Mostly gifts. When it comes to the annual exhibition at my quilt class I usually have nothing left to exhibit!

Suse 07-09-2010 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Given away :D I will make mine...some day :D:D:D

same here 8-)

Brenda Retzlaff 07-09-2010 04:36 AM

I have a few wall hangings, tote bags, pillows & placemats that I made. When I started quilting 4 years ago my goal was to make a quilt for each of my 7 grandchildren. I have 6 finished and one WIP. Then my sisters wanted one, my son wanted one, and I do some QOV and charity quilts for my guild. I have a northwoods top done for our bed but too busy with everyone else to work on it.

StitchinJoy 07-09-2010 04:44 AM

I've made hundreds of quilts. We have 3 on each bed, a bunch of sofa quilts, 2 on the walls and some table runners. Many of my friends have bed sized quilts. My daughter has several. Most of my quilts go to charities like Project Linus Quilts of Valor. Habitat for Humanity, Quilts for Kids.

I always ask before I make a quilt for a friend or family member. Some folks don't value handmade things. They think they are inferior to storebought. Those folks aren't quilt-worthy; I give them gift cards.

mayday 07-09-2010 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Just curious...

Have you kept most of the quilts you've made? Or do you sew them mostly for gifts?

have only kept one [an xmas theme] for me as it it comforting and covers me/my feet if I'm not well-------am doing a VERY bright and gay quillow at present [amongst others] and am tempted to keep that too; otherwise I sell for funds for vet's bills for US www.englishtoyspanielrescue.com

JoanneS 07-09-2010 10:11 AM

I have at least 1 in every room of the house, except the kitchen, 2 of the bathrooms, & DH's office. 1st floor bathroom has a Q top shower curtain (over the plastic one) & 3 mini-s on the walls. I have given away all the rest - about 100 - a mixture of wedding, baby & gifts to family members.

quiltingnana1 07-10-2010 06:15 AM

Ditto! All mine have gone out the door. Have finally started one to keep, but keep finding new gifts to be made. :-)

BusyDebbie 07-10-2010 04:40 PM

my first was just a gift to my sister in law whom my husbands mother still takes care of. This one is for me and the next two will be for my daughters that I hope they will keep and hand down.

Threads of Love 07-10-2010 05:03 PM

I have kept two king sized for myself, plus many lap quilts, but mostly I make and give away. I love them all, but have no room for all of them. It is the thrill in the making, and the love of giving them away, for me.